Front axle thrust bearing photos

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

Hello All

I removed another spindle and found an original Ford bearing installed as seen in the photo. The word "top" is clearly visible on the sheet metal retaining cover of the bearing. It is also a ball bearing with a number FB111 rather than a roller bearing as in the replacements. That solves the question of which side of the bearing faces upward.

I discovered a new problem when fitting the bearing onto the spindle. The chamfer of the new bearing is smaller than the original chamfer and will not allow the bearing to fit solidly against the spindle weight bearing surface- the small chamfer in the bearing interferes with the larger chamfer in the spindle. The second photo shows two bearings- the left is an old one and the right is a new-in-the-box bearing number E27N3123B from the local CNH dealer. BOTH bearings are stamped with the number T163X and are Timken bearings and you can see the different chamfer size in the photos.

This is a real predicament to me- I bought the same number bearing from Ford but the bearing is different and will not work! It is even more frustrating that I called the dealer today and the guy at the parts counter said they only sell parts for Ford and New Holland and did not have any Fordson parts (the same dealer I bought the bearing from). Anybody else seen this bearing problem?

original bearing

left is original, right is new

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Don't know if this is the answer but you are quoting an E27N number when, in the parts book it is a DDN prefix. Part numbers change and sometimes the numbers stamped on parts do not relate to them. The number on the box is the important one.

Just wondering whether the bearings are for the earlier Major which had a smaller stub axe (I think, don't have a parts book for them). A similar problem has come up before when people have changed the stub axles, I seem to remember.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Julian & Brian,

Part No. E27N 3123A suits 1945 - 1946 only.
Part No. E27N 3123B suits 1946-1964 USA only.
Part No. E1ADDN 3123 suits 1946-1964 UK.

I have checked a pair of new Bearings and they are marked Timken T151 and have the large chamfer.

It does seem odd that 2 different Part Prefixes are used for the same Part.

Is it possible you have an early E27N Stub fitted. These usually had a piece machined to take a tagged washer behind the bearing securing nut. Later types had the nut machined (washer was now deleted).[/b][/u]
BarryM

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

Brian and BarryM

Thanks for your replies. I have compared five front axle spindles from my Majors and Super Major and they all have the same number cast into them and the bearing does not fit any of them- casting part number E27N3107D (or 3108D). My parts manual says the spindle part number is E1ADKN-3107/8. The manual does not show a different spindle for UK vs US, but does show the different thrust bearing for UK vs US. One thing I noticed is that on the new bearings, the part number is the same as the old ones- T153X but on the new incorrect bearing, the "X" had been written by hand with a scribing tool while the rest of the number was stamped.

Incidentally, both the Super Major spindles have a mark on them where the metal hardness was tested and they have a length of 190 mm from thrust bearing surface to top of splines. Three aftermarket parts suppliers have these spindles, but only one has the correct length for mine. Regards, Julian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The numbers on casting bear no relationship to the part numbers unfortunately. They are moulding numbers.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian