Super Major ID and Value

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
essex pete
True Blue

Super Major ID and Value

Post by essex pete »

Hi All
Some of you may know I am not a true Major owner but have an old 1955 Weatherill based on a Major Skid. Today I went to have a look at my late God Father's Super Major. I ahve the opportunity to buy it from his estate. I obviously would like to be fair but equally I do not want to let sentiment take a complete hold. (I have enough very good memories of him not to worry about a tractor).
Perhaps some of you may be able to give me an idea of value.
I would describe it in mostly good off farm condition. I am unsure of the age but found the following:

N/S rear block OJ12
N/S behind brake 8J9
Near G/box filler 3J17
Rear axle trumpet 3J9

On machined surface ahead and above fuel pump ( scribed)
S785525 (tho' not 1005 sure)

Could not find a plate on fire wall.

I am not to sure about all the Super developments but it has the following:
Draught control with a knob that has a linkage to the lift lever and a further screw in knob below. Service selector knob.
Disc brakes that appear to work quite well.
Separate spool valve for an old (possibly Horndraulic) loader. Piped so that you select external and place the lift lever up and then control the loader with it's own valve.
Diff lock.
The tacho is working and show 1280 hours. Of course this may not be anywhere neaer true. Head lights and grill intact as a guard has been fitted for most of its life.
Engine (mech gov) started first turn with quite a lot of blue smoke which soon cleared. The exhaust sounds a little chuffy particularly as the revs are shut down. The oil looked very clean.
Steering in fair order except for loose steering wheel and possible worn splines.
Clutch (both stages) appear to work OK and main did not slip when brkes applied and 5th selected.
The tyres have little wear, I think they were fitted in the 1980s and now show age cracking around the cleats but not side walls.
The front wheels are odd, one is cast 3 spoke the other pressed steel. The rears have one set of weights fitted.
The tractor was hand painted at some time wich has probably helped preserve the tin work although the Nose cone has some slight scabbing and evidence of filler around the seams.
The mud guards are poor with much rust and holes in the braces and one has been strapped to the roll bar.
The liknkage is complete but worn and the O/S cross shaft bushing is extensively worn with the upper lift arm hanging some 2mm below where it should be compared to the N/S.
There also appears to be an oil leak close to the response Knob.
There is a diesel leak some where on the O/S but on the whole no major oil leaks. (Loader rams weep).
The rear axle was filled to the mark but I did not check the gearbox.

Well sorry to be so long winded but what do you think? Even if I do not buy it the family will like to know an approximate value. The Tractor has probably had two owners from new.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hard to say without pics but i would say anywhere between £1000- £1500 at auction.
make sure engine oil is the colour it should be, and hydraulics lift with a load if possible.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

So have I been looking at a New Performance or just a Super?
There is a transfer type badge on the rear of the bonnet rather than a nice cast badge.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You should be looking at a New Performance, the numbers you give are 1963 so it could also be be an "old" style Super. Have you got a long Pressure Relief Valve and a metal Knob for the drop restrictor?

"Chuffing" could be caused by a worn camshaft on later Supers.

She has been fitted with an industrial engine, check that she has"FL" cast into the head between Nos 1 and 2 injectors.

Price is a bit difficult as it could be as low as the mid hundreds to around £1500 as a realistic price. I have seen them as high as £3000 in adverts and don't forget the one that went for £12000.00 at auction. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Thanks for the reply. Would the drop response be the metal knob lurking behind the hand brake in your picture?

Just aft of the service selector is where it was weeping underload.
It was quite dark in the shed the hole appeared to have a vertical pin running through it.

Should my biggest concern be the worn cross shaft or housing? Is it an expensive fix? Are there replaceable bushes? Wonder why it is worn on one side? Carrying more weight that side with a particular tool perhaps.

Is the chuffing caused by a worn cam shaft because the valves are not working/moved correctly? Is it a Major problem?

What is the lever furthest to the rear? Does it select draught and position?

Regards Peter

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, that is the drop control.

The oil weep is from an "O" ring on the plug. Just needs replacing.

Cross shaft has bushes.

If the camshaft is worn its not a bad job to replace but you will also need tappets and possibly push rods as these all wear. They increased the valve spring pressure on the New Performance and it found a weak area.

Yes that is the draft/position selector. Up for draft, down for position control.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Worth mentioning is that the leaking o-ring can be replaced without removing the valve chest ;)

Drive the tension pin out and find a suitable small screw, screw it into the hole in the plug, pull and presto! The retainer is out.
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Ah well thanks for all the help, perhaps it is not too bad then.
I would like to have it really but will nowneed to agree a price.

Regards Peter

ps I could drive it home as it is still taxed.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Slight update. The person administering my Godfather's estate has been in touch with Cheffins and they seem to think that it could be worth upto 2.5k. So it might end up going to auction. It is a shame but the Gentleman has to do what is right for the estate.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think I had better get mine over to Cheffins. They seem a little optimistic at the moment! :D
Brian

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Well I thought so ton Brian but I am not in a position to point that out.

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Pete just remember auctions cut both ways. Auction companies ALWAYS tend to INFLATE the estimated selling price, they want the commish right! The price paid for an auction item only reflects the price of that time and place only!

In a family estate situation and if you are part of that family, an auction will put away once and for all any unfavorable family gossip about a buyer should you get a very good price. Should the topic ever come up, you only need to remind them that you paid more than anyone else would have! right!
Been there done that! ;(

Just a note on auction price, time, place and day. Many years ago, I bought a machine at one auction near me for $250. I was the ONLY bidder, had the machine moved to another consignment auction yard within 20 miles. It sold 3 weeks later for $22,500. It was a very large machine. :) Also was a decent payday to!!

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Well I missed the tractor, it was sold to a local Italian market gardener for more than I offered. By chance it will be less than a couple of miles from the farm (now under houses) from where it started new.
The executor decided not to go the Cambridge route and felt that he had been led up the garden path some what by over optimistic prices.