Richards Query on another board

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Richards Query on another board

Post by Brian »

Richard,

In answer to your query regarding the price of a Petrol Major, if it is reasonable, it ought to be worth more than a diesel because there were only 6892 Petrol and Petrol/Kerosene Majors made out of a total of 241545 ( Allan Condies' book). However things don't always work that way and, if you was looking to work her rather than show, the value would possibly be lower that a diesel. The problem is they drink petrol :cry: . In todays economy that could be a big factor. To give you some idea, we take one on a road run and to ploughing matches. It will happily get through about 10 to 12 gal (British gallon = 4.5 litre) in a day out. Compare that to the petrol Dexta which goes with us, this uses only around 3 gallons.

If it was a case of saving a nice tractor from the Chinese boat, then I would consider it but if I wanted a working tractor I would think twice. IMHO.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Thank you for the reply, Brian.
I was going to ask the question here, but have been a bit harrased just lately.

I need an excuse to Not go and buy it, as I have two to mess with already!

Seems it may be a nice tractor for just playing, but as it would have to work for a living, I think it can go and live somewhere else.

Still hardly any crops planted. Still raining.
Getting awfully late to sow corn!

Managed to bog the FSM, while using brush mower.
Was trying to cut the range where we have our little Victorian rifle shoot.
Probably should have taken off the 3 sets of wheel weights before venturing forth......

Richard.

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Just an update;

I didn't get to the sale, but the petrol FM made $450 Canadian.
It ran nicely, but had a bit of an oil slick underneath, though that wouldn't have been anything to worry about.

On another topic, I'm V. pleased with the old FSM!

Used it harrowing in some barley, and it works very well, no smoke and as the harrows are only 24 feet or so, it pulled them well in 5th gear with no labouring or smoke.
Would even pull them just setting off with engine at an idle.

Yes, I am pleased with the old lass!

Richard.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Richard,

that Major was an absolute steal at that price! It would be a great garden ornement or taken out occasionaly to shows. Its a bit of history that won't come again. Hope it wasn't on a China boat.

Glad to here your Super goes well. Out of interest only, just behind the gear lever, on the axle casting near the left front edge of the lift when you are sitting on the seat, is a triangular machined surface. What number do you have stamped in there? Should be either 33 or 44.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Hi Brian,

I'll have a look at the casting and get back to you.

Harrowed more greenfeed/barley yesterday.
went V. well, but a rear wheel seal let go and it's dripping oil like a tap!
Are seals this size readily available?
Must fixum before I rake hay.

All the best,

Richard.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you got too much oil in the back end?

Have you over-greased the half-shaft bearing?

It may have just stripped the seal if it had rusted on the shaft due to standing.

Afraid the lift will have to come off again then the wheel and the big nuts on the bull gears, then you have to tap the locating "dints" out of the seal carrier at the end of the trumpet housing. These are just where the seal carrier has been tapped down into the groove to hold it in place.

You then draw the half-shaft out. So far its easy. (Unless you have parked the tractor too close to the wall):oops:

Now we get to the hard bit. The bearing has to come off the shaft. In service, we used to destroy the seal housing to get a puller or press in behind the bearing. You may have to do the same thing.

Once the bearing is off the seal and housing come off easily. Check the surface where the seal runs on the half shaft for a groove. If there is a deep one there, it will have to be resurfaced. If it is not too bad a new seal will sort your problem. New seals and housings are available here from Agriline but I would also try your Case/New Holland dealer.

Whole job should take about 4 hours.

I would also leave her a little longer before stripping. I have had ones that miraculously seal again after a little use.
Brian

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Thanks for the reply, Brian.

Afer my last post, I used the search, and saw that replacing seals looked a bit of a grim job to what I had first anticipated!

I will take your advice and do nothing for a while! (doing nothing has a strong appeal!!)

Yes, I had overfilled the rear end a bit. I did it when I was trying to get hydraulics working, and its nearly an inch higher than it should be. I'll let some out...

I did grease the half-shafts, but only gave them about four pumps each, so don't know if this would blow out the seals.

Not looked at casting numbers yet. Forgot all about it!
Hope to have a decco this morning.

Thanks again for all your help!!

All things best,
Richard.

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Brian,

I can't see any numbers at all on the little triangle you describe.
Had a look at the other SM and no numbers there either. I think I'm looking in the right spot.

Today was still wet from last nights rain, so put some of the other SM together. Put sump back on, and head and such. Have to re-set tappets and put fluids in and then give her a try!

Will keep you posted.

R.