Fuel supply problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
FordsonNorway
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fuel supply problem

Post by FordsonNorway »

Hi

I have a problem with fuel supply. I opened up with where the fuelpipes enters into the engine block. i cranked det engine but it will only come fuel up from two pipes. But when I opened down with the fuelpump it came diesel from the fuel pipes as it did not come out were the fuel pipes go into the engine block.

Regards Axel
Last edited by FordsonNorway on Thu May 06, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Sounds like stuck plungers. You will need to take the side cover off and see if they all move. You need to be very clean when you do this as a little dirt will do a lot of damage. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Have you checked that you have a good supply of fuel from the tank?

Is the tap filter clean?

Have you fitted a new fuel filter?

If you can get fuel out of all three at the pump but not at the injector pipes, it may be that you are not getting enough fuel to the injection pump.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

FordsonNorway
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FordsonNorway »

When I try to start it starts a little and stops shortly after
It is only pumping diesel up to two cylinders :?

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

FordsonNorway wrote:When I try to start it starts a little and stops shortly after
It is only pumping diesel up to two cylinders :?
As Brian says, with it starting and then stopping, sounds as if not enough fuel getting to pump, loosen bleed screw on pump and see if you have a good supply reaching the pump.
Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi Axel, others on here will know better but I believe it would still run, although very rough, on 2 cylinders if enough fuel is getting to pump.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

I agree with dandy dave. Take side panel off pump and check plungers etc. Same thing happened with mine and that was problem.
Fordson Major, Man's best friend.
1957 Fordson Major Diesel - Mid-Restoration

FordsonNorway
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FordsonNorway »

How do they manage to get stuck?

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

Water contamination was the cause for mine. It had been lying outside without a pipe on injector no.3 :roll:

FordsonNorway
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by FordsonNorway »

But how do I fix it. What did you do when you fixed it.
I dont want to fix it before I understand what I shall do.

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

take the cover off the side of the pump then spray some wd40 or similar and work the slider and plungers until free. Cleanliness is vital here as a tiny amount of dirt can cause a whole lot of damage. When your satisfied that it's working ok use some sealer around plate and reassemble. Thats what I did and now it works better than ever :lol:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

bluecraig0776 wrote:I agree with dandy dave. Take side panel off pump and check plungers etc. Same thing happened with mine and that was problem.
With that said, my answer was based on someone that would have had enough knowledge to change the fuel filter and bleed the system properly first. I jumped the gun by saying that the plungers were stuck and assumed that the other steps were taken first. (Like Homer Simpson would say...dah owww.) First I should have asked if the Fuel filter was changed and if you know the proper procedure to bleed the system after. Brian and the others are right to ask if this has been done first. If all else fails, then the plungers would be next. The first thing to be done is to be sure that the injection pump is receiving enough fuel. 40+ years of pulling wrenches and you just take it for grant that the owner would know how to do this. I should know better as I have been called out many times to change fuel filters and bleed systems for those who do not know.

1960 Fordson Power Major

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

Sorry, I just assumed this had been checked.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

bluecraig0776 wrote:Sorry, I just assumed this had been checked.

Nothing to be sorry about. I also assumed that this would have been done. :wink: If the tractor at some point recieved some water in the fuel, the water could have pluged the paper fuel filter. The filters are designed to swell up so the water will not pass though. After enough water swells the fuel filter the fuel will also stop flowing.

FordsonNorway. Have you changed the fuel filter? This is a round canister on the side of the block that the fuel pump lines run into before going to the injection pump. Take it apart, One bolt will remove it, and replace the filter with a new one. Clean the canister well before replacing as a little dirt can do a lot of destruction. then you will need to loosen the plugs on top to bleed the air out of the system. It is not hard, but you need to work clean and carefull Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian wrote:Have you checked that you have a good supply of fuel from the tank?

Is the tap filter clean?
Start at the fuel tank and work your way forward.
Is there fuel in the tank
is tap filter clean
is tap clear and turned on
is the fuel primer pumping fuel
fuel filter replaced
fuel filter bleed
injector pump bleed
plungers working
injectors squirting fuel

check everything and eliminate everything, until you find the problem
good luck, and let us know what you find.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!