The differences between smiths and AC drive units?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Foxen
True Blue

The differences between smiths and AC drive units?

Post by Foxen »

This one's clearly for Brian I think :)

Allright, I have an AC drive unit on my FSM, the cable and tachometer are broken so I got myself new ones from ol' Britannia and I opted to do my dad's cousin a favor by getting the smith's cable instead of the AC one since he's got a smith's unit on his FSM but a brand new AC-type cable... What I remember of his drive unit is that the threaded part on the drive unit where the cable attaches to is bigger than what it is on my AC unit and the nut on the smiths cable I got is smaller than the nut on my old broken AC cable... What gives? Is there something greatly amiss here or did I miss something or did they send me the wrong cable??? I measured the O.D of the threads on the AC unit to about 16mm, I don't have the smiths unit readily available here so I can't check on it right now but should a smiths unit have a bigger threaded end or a smaller than a AC unit?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Looking at agriline, there are 4 different cables. The Smiths cable looks a lot different than the early, and late AC cables, and also the pump driven cable. Looks like the power and super share two different cables. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

I am aware that there exist four different cables of which two are about the same length but with different nuts at the drive end...(that would be the AC and the smiths ones I am talking about)

But if there is another drive unit that only fits together with the really old variety of cable, then I think I can go and shoot myself right now... So, does anyone have any actual measurements of the threads of the different units?
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Could someone who has a smiths unit please take a picture of what it and the threaded part looks like?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

My unit was an AC. I now have a replacment from agriline on it. I could measure that for you and give a threads per inch. However, I do not know where there is a Smiths unit that could be measured. If I can even find the original broken AC unit, I could also measure that If it would help. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Dandy Dave wrote:My unit was an AC. I now have a replacment from agriline on it. I could measure that for you and give a threads per inch. However, I do not know where there is a Smiths unit that could be measured. If I can even find the original broken AC unit, I could also measure that If it would help. Dandy Dave!
On my AC unit the threaded part is roughly 5/8 in diameter, if I got the right cable for a smiths unit the threaded end of that one must be around 1/2 or 7/16... But thanks for your offer.