Starter Switch

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
icom102
True Blue

Starter Switch

Post by icom102 »

I need the switch that goes on a major starter has anyone any pictures of one or know where i can get one?

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

icom102
Welcome to the board.
You don't say where you are, but agriline have the switch you are after.
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/partsca ... major.html
item 5063

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Hi and thanks i am in Northern Ireland that looks something like it but on mine there is two screws i can see it on the picture off the starter below but its hard to tell from a picture has anyone got a wireing diagram for it?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You don't relly need a diagram for that switch there are only two wires, one comes from the ignition switch and is power, the other goes to the small terminal on the solenoid. It does not matter which way round they go on the switch.

There is a wiring diagram on the manuals page of this site.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Well there is no ignition switch or solenoid do i need them ? this is my fathers old tractor and he never used the starter

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

He's not been swinging it on the handle or starting it with a rope around the pulley like a lawn mower has he? I have seen that done.

Yes, you will need a solenoid and an ignition switch.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

No he started it on the run its very easy to start erm there is a starting lever so how would it need an ignition switch ?
sorry if i sould stupid i just know nothing about it

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The ignition switch isolates the starter by turning the power on and off.

The solenoid is an electrical means of transfering the very large current the starter motor needs to turn the engine. A normal switch would burn out in a matter of seconds.

The lever on the starter moves the starter gear into engagement with the ring gear on the flywheel. Once engaged, the lever activates the switch on the starter. This then switches the solenoid on which transfers the main power from the battery to the starter motor.
Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

ah so i simply cant just wire up the switch whats the ignition switch look like or where does it go same with the solenoid ?

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

if you just want the starter to work and not all the loom and dash you can run a cable from the live side of the solenoid to the switch on the starter, then back from the other side of the switch to the terminal that operates the solenoid. you will have nothing other than a starter though.
hope this helps.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have ringed the starter switch, the solenoide and the ignition switch. As John says you can just get the starter to work but then you will need some means of keeping the battery charged so you will need charging circuits and dynamo or alternator.

If you go to the electrical section of the manual from the home page, you will find it is quite a simple circuit and with some time and some wire you could make one up. On the other hand wiring looms are available from Agriline and other suppliers, along with all the switches.

You have not said which Major you have so here are the parts list for both.

Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Cheers thanks lads just need to get a switch and solenoide now i dont know what kind of major it is [/code]Image[/url]

[codeImage

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Poor old girl

Can i see disc brakes and also a dynamo?

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

looks to me like its a fordson super major with the wrong top for the hydraulics or its a power major with the wrong rear axle I guess we would need casting numbers/ engine no to tell properly what year it is. The old girl looks a bit sad shes what we call in the trade a Heinz 57. or a bitsa. but it would be a good project to restore.
Good luck
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I do not see a breather on the timing cover either. That would make it an earlier major engine, or the cover has been swaped at some point. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The pump also looks straight rather than inclined.

This could be a momentous discovery! John-Paul has the original Major ASP, this could be the second one off the line. :run:
Brian

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Well its been in my family about 30 years we have done nothing two it only change the engine i would love to know more about it

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Major is going again and brakes workin yey :)

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

:thumbs: do you know what the casting codes are on your major? that would help to identify it. The front one is on top of the front tombstone just behind the radiator, and a couple of the back ones are on the side of the gearbox, and under the sink i think.
Looks to me like this was a super major, because of the rear brakes, and front tombstone shape, its just had an engine transplant.
What was wrong with the old engine?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

sink! i meant under the seat. i was thinking about doing the washing up! :rofl:

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Hi i must have a look for numbers well i was about 10 when the engine was replaced i am 37 now so i cant help u there

as i said earler we got the beakes going but the off side one keeps sticking what would be up with it?

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Ok the code on the engine is 500E35247 the only other one i can find is on the clutch housing C01f or it could be C0if?

henk

Post by henk »

C01F means first of March 1961. So you have an early Super Major with a Power Major lift cover, and may be a New Major engine. Can you tell us the engine number? Above the vacuum part of the pump under the rocker cover there should be a rectangle peace with a number.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

is 500E35247 not the number its under number 1 injector

henk

Post by henk »

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I