Starter motor question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Foxen
True Blue

Starter motor question

Post by Foxen »

Well, I guess if you've watched the wiki you've seen the half-monster starter I've equipped my Super Major with... (pic below)

Anyways, since I'm nowadays working as a bus-repair-man and those tend to run off 24V it got me thinking about how some people over here ran the 6V starter on old Volvo T30-something off 12V without it burning out and since I have two 12V batteries in parallel there wouldn't be much of a hassle to connect them in series, essentially making it 24V... This will lead to overvolting the starter motor, making it run quite a bit faster(as with the 6V at 12V T30 starter) and in theory that would have it spin the engine around much faster = quicker starting than before and less time the starter was engaged = not really a problem with overvolting...

What are your thoughts on this subject, my only concern is the solenoid/magnet on mine, should I "tap off" 12V between the two batteries to feed it rather than feeding it the full blown 24V...?

Valid arguments please, not just the run-of-the-mill "It can't be done", I've had quite an encouraging discussion with my colleague at work(which has worked as a mechanic for quite a few years) and his thoughts about it were that since my starter is of the older school where they "oversized" things to make them last it would stand a good chance of handling it but I want more thoughts on it(I've also read about some boat manufacturer in the USA that ran a 12V starter off 24V as a means of brutally cold starting a diesel converted petrol engine)... so, hit me :)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

I did the same thing on a couple of old machines one was an H-Farmall (gas), the other was a Old Yale/Hercules Fork Lift (diesel) that was a old militarily model that had a 24V electric system but couldnt find a 24V starter for it.

I had problems with both, the same thing on each. The commutator wire would melt the solder on the wires and blow the wires off, sometimes segments would come out. The starters would work for quite a while but on each one I finally run out of money buying starters and on the Herc/Yale run out of places to find them. :((

On the H- I finally went to an 8V battery on the Herc/Yale I built a 24V starter to fit it.

Now Iam not saying all will fail as I have seen many work a long while but mine did not last on double Voltage.

" Oily to bed Oily to rise are the days of a man, when a Fordson he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted to be farmers, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to drive the tractors! ;)

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Tmac wrote:.
I did the same thing on a couple of old machines one was an H-Farmall (gas), the other was a Old Yale/Hercules Fork Lift (diesel) that was a old militarily model that had a 24V electric system but couldnt find a 24V starter for it.

I had problems with both, the same thing on each. The commutator wire would melt the solder on the wires and blow the wires off, sometimes segments would come out. The starters would work for quite a while but on each one I finally run out of money buying starters and on the Herc/Yale run out of places to find them. :((

On the H- I finally went to an 8V battery on the Herc/Yale I built a 24V starter to fit it.

Now Iam not saying all will fail as I have seen many work a long while but mine did not last on double Voltage.
Ouch... I'll bear that in mind and think this over thoroughly before deciding what to do...
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi all I will say on this is that if your engine is all as it should be and the 12 volt starter and battery is big enough and in good condition it should start good with out 24 volts.
I live in canada and it gets down to -30 oc and colder we have started engines without plugging them in to pre warm them its not ideal but proves the point 12v will do it.
Regards Robert

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

It starts fine with just 12v, this was just a little idea I was toying with since it has been done with another brand of tractor here in sweden.

Anyways, I've put this idea on hold because it causes a bucket load of other problems... Like the trailer plug socket, all trailers I have at my disposal will be needing 12 volts... If I come up with a solution I'll be posting my results and findings here ;)

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Since you need two 12 volt batterys to run a 24 volt starter. Run the 12 volt stuff off of one. Or fit a positive parallel switch just to start, and retain the 12 volt stuff just to charge the system like a lot of diesel trucks and construction equipment have. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

That has crossed my mind too... will give it more thought ;)

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Foxen.
If you are still seriouse Daves Idea is a sensible solution I work with Belarus Tractors as well as Fordsons. I do not know what they cost in your country but late 500, 800,900, series belarus use a 12/24v split charge control box. The Tractor starts on 24 then runs all the other electrics including the alternator on 12v so this would solve your problem of changeing all your electris over. also I could probably figure out the wireing for you as well if you found a box. I may even have a contact in the Ukraine that may be able to get you one cheap! .
Regards Robert

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

as said, I'll give it some thought :)