Power steering kit

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Frans
True Blue

Power steering kit

Post by Frans »

Today I bought an original power steering kit for my super, does any body have a good picture of the drag link so I can see how that works

Thanks Frans
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Mine is hanging in the shop with the paint drying, should be able to get some pics tomorrow.

Pat

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Frans,
Will that work on a Dexta also?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

Mark
The ones for the FMD are far to large to work with the dexta.

Are you looking to put a system together for your Dexta. If you are I can give you some ideas on off the shelf to build a system.

" Oily to bed Oily to rise are the days of a man, when a Fordson he buys"

Some men always thought they wanted to be farmers, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to drive the tractors! ;)

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Frans, look at my thread"Selene Power Major tire sizing" I have the pics there.

Pat

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

BearCreek Majors
Did you rebuild the Major cyl? If so where did you get the seal kit? And what was the price?

I need to rebuild my SMD steering cyl but have been reluctant to disable till I have a seal kit in hand. While not in good shape it still works. I didnt want to go down for long right now.

Some men always thought they wanted to be farmers, what they discovered really, is that they only just wanted to drive the tractors! ;)

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Frans, look at my thread"Selene Power Major tire sizing" I have the pics there.

Pat
Pat I saw the pics but I have an older drag link from my Roadless and thats original too so I can make a original power steering on my Super but its a bit differend as the pic in the Fordson book.

As you can see the power steering from my Roadless is all differrent and a bit heavyer than an original.

PS from a ford 5000 major is also great to have the picture
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Pat, can you tell me the length of the drag arm on your major
maybe I can make it original
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Frans, the non power draglink is 45 1/2" long center to center, the power steering cylinder is 2 1/2" center to center on the studs, accordingly the power draglink should be 43" long to make up this difference........... My power drag link is 44 1/2" long center to center...don’t ask me why!

Tmac, I know of no one that has a seal kit but the seals may still be available through New Holland. All the Orings look to be standard sizes and the shaft seal takes a standard 7/8” ID seal, any good bearing house or hyd shop should be able to get the parts for you. I generally use Motion Industries only because the guys at the local branch can get me what I need with nothing more than a phone call and the dimensions. The outer (DS) dust seal/wiper is a hard one to find, apparently it was a later addition and not shown in most of the parts manuals, and it’s a odd size as well, I believe 22.22mm X 33mm. Motion can get me a similar lip seal but not until mid August.
I have one cylinder still apart, if needed I can get the Oring sizes for you. Where is yours leaking? If it’s only the shaft seal I would recommend only taking that end apart for the repairs. I had to make my own socket to get the internal lock rings and retainers out.
Also, I apparently got the last felt grease retainer available in the US, I can give you the dimensions for this as well if you need to make new ones.

Pat

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Pat, Thanks my draglink is abouth 47 long so I must make it a bit shorter (it was from a 6 cyl so it can be)
regards Frans

1964 NP Super Major

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

BearCreek:
As for any "O" rings I have the boxes of kits on hand with most standard sizes so unless rings are of the "fat type" Ill have those.

My cyl isnt leaking to the outside except where once there was a small pinhole wore in the barrel from rubbing on the front tire. I just put a dab of bronze on that while still on the tractor. But the piston is leaking internally. It also is sucking air I believe from the shaft seal as it has a little drip there. So the only seals I would have to locate would be shaft and piston. Any sizes or seal no# you may have there would help. The closest seal shop/bearing house, to me, is a 70 mile trip one way, $40 worth of gas and a 1/2 day time just to get them ;((. I would like to have them on hand when I tear down. I do have UHMWPE (plastic) material on hand and can make the needed seals relativity fast to on the lathe. This though is always a crap shoot.;(( You never know if you got it right till installed. Odds are now better for me on making hyd seals as I have made many that have worked well. I have one in a forklift that has been in since 1989 still going strong too. ;))

If you have all the seal sizes or no# you may want to post them on the seal/bearing list that is that has been started by Henk @:

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?t=1994

Hanks PDF @:
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/ ... arings.pdf

Thanks