My efforts

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

My efforts

Post by Scruff »

Hi guys,

I joined recently and have already gleaned some great info from this forum. I have now figured out the photo posting bit so I thought I'd show my efforts.

This is how I found my 1962 Super. it has been stood here for about 18 years.

This one shows the pick up hitch which I have since discovered is a bit rare.

Here she is after much hard work.

I hope she comes up to your standards guys.

Scruff.
May all your dreams be blue !

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Whooow thats a nice one :clap:

Please tell us more like what kind of rimms it has ???
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Scruff,

You have come a long way. :clap: What a great job. Why do you have smaler rear wheels?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Scruff
I have moved this to the Major forum, as it is a Major.
You were a brave man to decide to restore this Super Major.
You have made fantastic job of it. I like the smaller diameter, wider rear tyres.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

Thanks for the comments. I am very pleased with the outcome. I restored a 1958 Power Major before this one but that was only really cosmetic as it was still working on a friends farm. I learnt a lot by just tinkering and asking questions of freinds and colleagues.

I have put on 30" rims from a Fordson Major based Bray Loader. A lot of Fordson based machines use these such as County Super-4 and over here a lot of people use them for a bit more grip as they have the correct stud pattern. They give virtually the same overall diameter because of its higher wall. Mine have also got the EnFo logo stamped in them. I will be putting its 36" back on in the future probably, the ones that came with it are in a bit of a bad way having been in cow sh*t for 18 years. Just waiting for a decent pair to become available.

I do love the way the New Major Series looks in whatever guise it takes.

Scruff

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well done Scruff! You can be very proud of your work. Maybe the previous farmer thought that the rims would grow bigger in the cow muck :wink: By the way how long did it take you to do the full restoration :?:

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

It took me about 10 months for this one. My dad has just retired and did quite a bit of the sanding down
:)

I dont know what to do next. Whatever comes along as long as it is blue !

The wife wants a T20 because her grandad used one on his farm. I'm trying to avoid this one :wink:

Scruff

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

As we say here in the States, Sweeeeeeet Ride Man. :D Cadillacs come in blue also. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

scruff, did you ever get the original reg document or v5? when i got my major (was in a similar state to yours) there was no number plate or anything on it. I started sand blasting it and the original number plate was still on it underneath the paint, the rear one was also there and they matched, so i got in contact with a bloke in cornwall and paid him 40quid, and hey presto, ive got the original reg!
by the way, your super looks awesome mate, did you re-build the engine?

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

Hi Nick, thanks for the comments.

The farmer who I bought it off couldn't find the old V5 or any old tax discs (because all farmers tax their tractors, right!) so I went to Thomas Andrews aswell. He found that the old number was a Surrey number and that all their records were destroyed. I had to settle for an age related number unfortunatley but the farmer has said he will keep looking for the old V5 for me.

I did put in new liners, pistons, rings and bearings and I had the head reconditioned by a guy down at Par (very reasonable) who put in new guides, a couple new valves and reground all the rest and skimmed it.

It has also had a new transmission clutch and thrust bearing.

I had the injectors reconned and resealed the pump as there was a leak (although I will probably have this one reconned when the funds have built up again).

I was tempted to sell the pick-up hitch to help fund the restoration but after some grumbles from my dad and friends I didn't so it is still on it.

I will post pics of it if anyone wants to see it.

Scruff.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Buy the wife a petrol Dexta! You can tell her its the same engine in a far better tractot than the TE20! :D

(And it will be the right colour) :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Yes thats the bloke, Thomas Andrews, seemed to know his stuff. Proper restoration then! Ive had most of the same done to my engine, did the head myself, apart from skimming. Havent had the injectors re-conned, or the pump though. Did the injectors cost much to do (if you dont mind me asking) :run:

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

The injectors cost £25 a piece at Electro-Diesel in Bodmin.

Where are you from Nick?

Scruff.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

thats not bad, i suspect they could do with a good service. im from wellington, somerset. what about you?

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

St.Neot in Cornwall

Yeah, the injectors made quite a difference. When I took them in he showed me how they test them, then split them to show me. All the insides were different, two late ones and two early ones. two were hardly firing at all. Quite interesting.

Scruff.