Major starting problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi It sounds like the plungers in the pump are stuck or worn they may move side to side with the rack but are they going up and down the full travel. If you have fuel at the pipes or lack of fuel before the injector why would you fix injectors first. :wink: You may find the injectors are worn later on though if the pump has had crap through it and it is worn out :( .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

hi there yes i can see the springs moving thats about it there is a bar inside the springs would that be the plunger ? they dont seem to be moving

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Yes that would be them. I have a pump in the workshop and I will look and see what kind of travel there is up and down on them when the pump is turned. I know what to look for while im working on these problems to know if they are right or wrong but trying to explaine it to you guys on here is a little dificult some times :)
Regards Robert

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Just been told its the pump so gonna have to get it off now and into the guy to be refurbished at a cost of around £200 or so aww well lol

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Oh well at least you know whats wrong :cry: . Sorry I did not get back to you with the info last week. I have been busy fixing customer tractors .
If you are having the pump done you probably should get the injectors checked out as well. you might as well maximise the rebuilt pump output.
I would also flush the rest of the fuel system and change all the filter elements. after 50 odd years the system is probably full of stuff you wont want in your rebuilt pump and injectors :wink: .
Regards Robert

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Thats a good idea are injectores expensive to get done up?

do u have parts for majors?

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Im not sure what it costs to do the Injectors in the U.K as I am located in Canada. I guess they would not be as much as the pump to do the set. the nozzles are easy to get in the U.K :) .
we struggle to get the parts and somebody with the knowlege to fix these things over here for sensible prices :cry: .
Ive heard it is cheaper for us to send the pumps back to England for re builds that are good in price and done right. The last time I asked about one it was over a $1000 + injectors in Canada. Most nice majors dont make $2800 around our area :( .
Yes I do have a large squirrel sized stash of major parts Mainly for my own consumption. I do sell the odd parts to a trusted few but being in Canada This would not be a lot of help to you unfortunatley :wink: .
Regards Robert