super major exhaust

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
peejay
Not Quite Blue Yet

super major exhaust

Post by peejay »

Hi there, I am just about to complete the restoration of a 1963 super major and i am trying to keep it as original as much as i can possible achieve. Regarding the exhaust silencer am i correct in my belief that the exhaust was made by Burgess and that it was painted blue or rather enamelled blue.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcom to the board.

You are correct with both manufacturer and colour. It was the same paint as the rest of the tractor and stunk something terrible when they were new until it burnt off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Hi,

Sorry in advance for going off the Super Major topic but still on exhausts, Oscar what paint did you use on the Dexta exhaust, it seems to be lasting very well.

Barry

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

BarryT wrote:Oscar what paint did you use on the Dexta exhaust, it seems to be lasting very well.
The same paint I used for the engine, Barry. For the entire tractor, in fact. It came from New Holland and was labeled "Fordson Blue" or something to that extent.

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

Oscar,

It really has lasted well considering it's not heat resistant paint. The exhaust is as good as the day it was painted. The Vapormatic Empire Blue is a perfect match, that's what I have used to touchup the areas that I worked on since buying the Dexta from you and as you witnessed yourself when you visited you cannot tell the difference. It's good quality paint with a very good finish.

Regards,

Barry

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Hiya Barry,

The paint I used is heat-resistant. They used it to re-spray entire tractors back in the day with no discrimination between heated and non-heated parts.

Regards,
Oscar