1954 Major Rear Axle Brakes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

1954 Major Rear Axle Brakes

Post by Dietmar »

As I am waiting for the bearings to continue the 1960 FPM gearbox - work has to be started on the 1954 Major rear end.
The version I have is with no transmission handbrake but it has additional brakes on the rear axle which should be act as a handbrake.

Now the issue: The handbrake lever is modified to push the LH steering brake pedal down (for function as hand brake the link to the right pedal has to be used)
Not a bad idea but as I am restoring the machine it has to get back to original.

I have contacted breakers but it looks that this version I have was not very common.
Brian, do you know the history of this?
The industrial version used rear axle brakes instead of the steering brakes and had a single pedal activating them. The setup is different.

Who has this version and could provide some pictures of the setup as the linkage, attachment brackets and cables are missing.
The brake lever has to be modified back to original as well.

I have a parts catalogue which draws the items but it is hard to rebuild according artists impressions.

Thanks to the community for any hint

Best regards

Dietmar

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hallo Dietmar,

Do you mean this version?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Dear Henk!

No, it does not have this lever. A large Handbrake lever is fitted which should act to the mechanism which pulls the brake cables of the rear wheel drum brakes.

I have the layout like yours on my Power Major plus the transm. brake, but it might have looked like it original - I do not know.

I will post some pictures to explain it better

Best regards

Dietmar

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/Lagoon42/

This is how it looks like
Best regards

Dietmar

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

I think that the version I have with this kind of Brake setup is unique to Germany and Austria.
The reason I do not know. Maybe the gearbox disk version was not certified and the rear wheels had to have brakes on them???!

It is not the Industrial Brake, it is mounted differently and orientated 90 degrees off.
It is actuated by a handbrake lever - which is connected with a shaft to the left-hand side on top of the gearbox using brake cables (which are missing on mine).
To take the brake drum off is a nightmare. :oops: The back plate has to be moved inwards in order to access the bolts from the inside of the drum which holds a split frame in place.
There I am so far.

Best regards from Austria

Dietmar :

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

I decided to remove the added brake system completely and install the original transmission brake handle / shaft - the brake itself is in the gearbox. Another step towards original.

Best regards

Dietmar