Stripping down the KFD

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
David in Wales
True Blue

Stripping down the KFD

Post by David in Wales »

Although it ran, it was in far worse condition than I originally thought. A total nut & bolt restoration was required. No2 piston & conrod were in terrible state, so all new sleeves & pistons. The head had been fitted with wrong valves sometime, so a complete rebuild & skim.
Water pump, fuel lift pump & filters & filter bowl, new diesel pipes, injection pump & injectors rebuilt. Steering box came off 4 times for rebuild and subsequent leak from seal.
The tractor was stripped of all bolt-on components and everything shot blasted. I cant understand people who leave on parts like engine side mounts etc and have it blasted, dirt & oil & rust are hidden and dont get cleaned off - not a "proper restoration" in my eyes.
David

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

David
what about the front pulleys?
Kiwi Kev

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

The front pulleys came off to change the timing chain when we stripped the engine down. Actually the whole block was taken off the tractor to do the rebuild and fit the liners.
Are you doubting my "total rebuild" ? :lol: You hav'nt seen the invoices for parts & labour yet - almost had to remortgage the house.
David

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

David
No, not doubting your rebuild, just checking :lol: :lol:
Kiwi Kev

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello David,

Don't take me to serious, but, where did you put that chain in?

Regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

My mistake, meant the seal at the front of the crank. The gasket for the timing gear cover was a problem - it leaked twice. We bought new gasket set but not all were perfect fit/size.
David