Jack - My Fordson Major Tractor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Re: Jack - My Fordson Major Tractor

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Well two weeks later, I’ve got the timing case back on jack complete with its new oil seal and he’s running a treat, a long time for a little job I know but my spare time is limited. :clap:

My next oil leak to sort is the fuel pump drive shaft out of the rear of the timing case. I asked Agriline if they could supply me the seal but they were unable to help. :eyes:

Does anyone know who can supply me this seal? :scratchhead:
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

They are in a complete gasket set, or you can just go to a hydraulic seal/bearing shop. Just measure the ID and the OD of the seal. Measure the width also if you want. Should'nt be hard to find.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

henk

Post by henk »

Johnnyboy,

It's on this list. http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/ ... arings.pdf
You can buy them at any hydraulic seal/bearing shop as KiwiKev say.
Done the job last year. Be careful not to damage the bearing behind the seal when you try to get it out.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

there is a fuel pump seal on ebay, but not sure if its the correct one?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=5&t=1994
Look at Sept 06 2010, post for seal sizes.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Well I’ve still got the pump drive oil seal to do and of course it’s getting worse. I’m going to tackle it soon but I’m a little concerned about disturbing the 2 vacumn pipes on the front of the pump, they look awful fragile. Any ideas anyone? :scratchhead:
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

henk

Post by henk »

You should turn them loose easely and have no trouble.
Kind regards, Henk

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

henk wrote:You should turn them loose easely and have no trouble.
hope you're right Henk, I've left them for a while and keep spraying them WD40 to help ease them :wink:

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Been out for a drive today on Jack, actually to fetch a topper back from a neighbouring village and I really think the run has done the engine good, he’s been putting quite a bit of oily smoke out recently but after the 13-mile trip and later in the afternoon rolling a friend field, he really seems to be running much better. I’m wondering if the oil rings in the engine may be getting a little carbon-ed up. :?:

Another problem that came to light was the tow bar adjusting plate that is bolted to the side of the rear casting and enables the tow bar height to be set in one of three positions. The two bolts that secure one of the plates to the rear casting have pulled out and on closer inspection appear to have been pushed in and fixed with some kind of epoxy type of resin so it looks like I’ll be obtaining a Hellicoil kit to do a proper repair. Does anyone know what size bolts should be fitted here? :scratchhead:

henk

Post by henk »

Can't help you with that Johnny. The parts list gives no measurements. Better remove one from the other side and measure it.
Kind regards, Henk

richard the wrecker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by richard the wrecker »

The side plate bolts are 9/16" unc. On one of mine I drilled them out to M14 & then tapped M16, using modern HT bolts & locktite, seems to have done the trick!! I know I will more than likely get flamed by the Fordson police but she ain't no concourse machine.

Hope that helps