Oil pump gear clearance?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tom P
Not Quite Blue Yet

Oil pump gear clearance?

Post by Tom P »

I am getting ready to put my engine together, and would like to check the pump. I am getting .020" inch between the teeth. Will that work? Is their anything else I should check?

Thank you!
Tom

Tom P
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Tom P »

Also the gap between the gear and the wall is .004" inch.

Thanks Again.

Tom

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I can't seem to find any measurements for the oil pump, but I remember Brian saying that it should be able to suck kerosene up out of a bucket when you give it a quick turn by hand.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Be careful if you buy a new one.
I took apart my old Trader 590E oil pump, and also to compare, a brand new Super Major pump. (The pumps are similar except for the lenght of the gears. The Trader has longer gears to provide oil flow to the two "extra" cylinders. The Trader pumpgears are 47mm and 32mm on the Super Major.) This was not however the only difference. The new pump gears was beveled on both ends as the oldest Major pumps are. The new model pumps are beveled only at the one end that is inwards into the pumphousing. When I measured my old pump with a feeler gauge between the teeth and the housing is was more than 0.1 mm (0,004") but not 0.15 mm (0,006"). On the new pump it was 0.2 mm (0,008"). In my oppinion the new was a piece of crap.
Examine carefully the parts you buy for it seems to be much crap on the market.