Super Major Handbrake Lever

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
icom102
True Blue

Super Major Handbrake Lever

Post by icom102 »

I got the old hand brake lever off but how do you put the new one on the shaft moves in and out and u can only ge the lever on less than half way :(

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

wow 29 views and no one can tell me how to put it on

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I'd like to help you, but Majors, over here, didn't come with hand brakes, so I've never seen one.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

no handbrake how did u keep it stoped when parked?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

id love to help you on this one mate, but ive never done it before. i dont even have a lever on my handbrake, its one of the last things i have got to do to mine so i would love to know how to do it aswell!

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

its got me confused o i got a reculator today so hopefully will get it on this weekend do u happen to know is it easy to wire up there is only two wires go on the dynamo but theres 5 places for wires on the regulator

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The parking Brake on the models we have over here is a T handle on the right side of the transmission that is lifted and turned 90 degrees to set the ratchet on the left brake peddle. Turn it back 90 degrees until it drops, and step on the peddle and it should release. Seems to me that the parking Brake lever was an option, and not that common as I have seen others chat about it before. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

there was one of them on mine two at one stage

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

icom102 wrote:no handbrake how did u keep it stoped when parked?
Hi the Canadian Majors I have dont have the park brake either. They have a handle on the foot plate and you pull it up twist the top 1/2 turn then push the brake pedal down and there is a ratchet on the pedal to keep it down.
I changed the seal on that hand brake on my imported english spec major to get it on You have to polish everything real good on both parts. I then pulled the shaft to me as far as it would come then started pushing the lever on whilst holding the shaft out with a screw driver against the shaft side to wedge the shaft and try to stop it sliding in as the handle is fitted. When i got the thing on far enough that I could see the pin hole I used a tapered punch to lever it the rest of the way on. It was a b@#ch of a thing and is better done with 2 people.
I have also been wondering if you where going to change the seal at the same time if you could remove the old seal then spot weld a bolt on the end of the shaft.put the new seal in then use the bolt to pull the shaft with molegrips/ vice grips and keep it out as you put the lever on . Then when done gently grind the the bolt off leaving the shaft looking nice. if you are not doing the seal you would just have to watch the welding heat so you dont melt the seal and damage it. The grinding will not get that warm unless you over do the welding or grind for two long. Without taking the whole gearbox out i think this is the only way without drilling the shaft and threading a bolt in as was sugested to you a while ago :wink: .
Hope this helps you :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Where is the seal ?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

When i was wiring mine i searched on google for 'fordson major wiring diagram', i found a complete wiring diagram showing everything. You only need to worry about the regulator, i know that E is earth, and you've got main from battery, auxiliary connections (lights etc), then the two terminals to the dynamo.
Have a search on google and find the diagram, its very easy to follow

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

well i have no lights as yet lol but some day i will :)

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Last saturday I took mine off one major to put it on the other, I have not tried it yet but I think If you cant get it on you can take off the Hy low selector an there is they other site of the axle

I now its not visible on the pic but I know it is there, I think Brian knows how its got to be fixed he helped me with tis too
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

looks sligtly different to mine i willt ake a picture tomorrow i looked on the other side but could not see any sign of it is there any chance you could take a picture of the other side?

muz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by muz »

Thats an interesting gear box Frans .. looks like it has an extra section in it ?

To the OP Im sorry .. all my majors have hand brakes, but I never use them. always just the park brake so Ive never had one off either

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

muz wrote:Thats an interesting gear box Frans .. looks like it has an extra section in it ?
Its a Roadless 4 wd gear box just look at the conversion section

Sorry its all together now and I dont took any pics of the inside
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

icom102 wrote:Where is the seal ?
Hi The seal is right behind the handbrake lever if you dont know its there its not obviouse . There may be a flat washer in front of it. When you look at the shaft from the end the outer casting hole is a lot bigger than the shaft diameter that is the seal that reduces the hole diameter.
Regards Robert .

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I think the extra gearbox section may be a "Howard Reduction Box" - fitted originally on majors for rotavating, powered rotavator at right angles to direction of travel. Made by Howard Rotary Hoes in the UK in the 50's and 60's Gave "creep speed" - ideal for hedgecutters and any implement when normal first gear was too fast.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

fenhayman wrote:I think the extra gearbox section may be a "Howard Reduction Box" - fitted originally on majors for rotavating, powered rotavator at right angles to direction of travel. Made by Howard Rotary Hoes in the UK in the 50's and 60's Gave "creep speed" - ideal for hedgecutters and any implement when normal first gear was too fast.
If I remember correctly franz has a Roadless 4wd conversion and That slice is the transfer case to the front axle. like you say though the howard reduction is a similar idea.
Regards Robert

janus
True Blue

Re: Super Major Handbrake Lever

Post by janus »

hello

my handbrake seal is a little bit leaking, does anybody knows the size of the handbrake seal ? in mm

i hope someone knows, so i can order one

henk

Post by henk »

Janus,

If you find the right one, could you please sent me the sizes so I can put them on my list.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

janus
True Blue

Post by janus »

hello henk

it is 2 years ago when you ask for the size of the handbrake lever seal

the orginal number of the seal is 2867, and that seal is allready standing on your list, its the same seal , as the pedal cross shaft

henk

Post by henk »

Better late than never.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

ithink alot of older farmers who haddnt got such things as computers as
these wernt around in the sixtys /seventys ect an no access to manuels
just used the old [ string an block handbrake] :lol:

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

hey everyone,

while on the topic of handbrake levers im having difficulty removing the pin that holds the lever on, has anyone else ever had this trouble and how have they overcome it?? ive tried heating it up and hitting it like a mad man but its failed to move!

I was hoping to change the bush and seal as there seems tobe abit of play there, so would be easyer todo it now whist the gearbox is out :)

here is a piccy to show my attempts, many thanks dan.

"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!