rare major ?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
shergar
True Blue

rare major ?

Post by shergar »

i love driving tractors me!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Looks like a Howard reduction from an E27N. That would be my guess.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Scruff
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Scruff »

What would be the purpose of this?
May all your dreams be blue !

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Shergar.
It is used to get slower gear ratios than first gear on a standard transmision. For example on a drainage machine where it is digging a trench 5 ft deep and you only need it going feet an hour rather than mph also they are used on rotorvators to go slow and get a fine tilth in the soil.
I dont know if Brian thinks the same but the Tractor looks like its got the standard bell housing to match the new major motor.
I am guessing it has the E27N gearbox guts in the new major housing to make it work.
Its a bit of a botch by the looks of it but being sold where it is will probably make a rare price too :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

IMHO the E1A main gearbox is quite similar to the E27N. Fitting the selectors and gearstick of A E27N won't be to difficult I suppose.

Just a (nice) bitsa with a Howard box. The howard we had on our Super had the handle on the left hand side. Would this one be sandwiched in backwards? Or is that impossible? That would give nice road speed.

Regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964