Seized pistons, does coke really work?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

more progress has been made, the liners are now out the engine block, as are the seals. They are double o ring liners, and its a good job i took the liners out because they are nearly rusted through in places. The seal seats are ok, but have started to decay a bit, not enough that they are bad, but what have people out on the metal to stop it rusting, or can you build the surface up with chemical metal?
Just waiting for the all the parts to turn up, then i can have some fun!

Samc123
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Seized pistons, does coke really work?

Post by Samc123 »

I have just bought a super dexta,which has been stood for 20years and was seized up well. I did as Brian mentioned, well I poured a little bit off diesel into each cylinder, lighted it with paper so it could slowly burn for about 20mins, until I felt the top off the block get warmish.. Let it cool overnight, and then it turned nice and freely, light a regularly used engine, I was gob smacked :)

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

That's nothing I've ever thought of doing but sounds like it works fantastically!!

Sounds like Brian's got a beer on the tab :beer:
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

i know its brutal but i have seen someone drill a load of holes in a piston to take the pressure off then get a jack underneath and it budged, it doesnt allways work though it can just lift the tractor haha :lol:
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!