end of the saga

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
David in Wales
True Blue

end of the saga

Post by David in Wales »

The new bonnet was the worst part I bought. Came painted in top coat, so sandblasted and painted correctly. Then I discovered the support arms had been fitted to the front instead of the back. The hinge box section was bigger than the original so it wouldnt fit. Ended up cutting out larger square out of the top of the battery fire-wall. And the sides are deeper than the original. The seller was not interested! I am not alone in my disgust at the quality of them. :x
I bought the largest overall sized 11.25x28 rear tyres to help fill the space between the top of the tyre and underside of mudguard.
The restoration took several months and cost a LOT more money than had been envisaged. On hindsight, I should not have bought this particular tractor. We learn by our mistakes.
David

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: end of the saga

Post by henk »

David in Wales wrote:I should not have bought this particular tractor. We learn by our mistakes.
At least you have a beautiful and special tractor. Well done.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi David,

That is one magnificent tractor, a real piece of history and I congratulate you on a job well done in saving it from a slow boat to China and oblivion. I know the hip pocket pain very well myself. Nothing ever seems to go to plan, but the way I look at it, if we knew how painful it would be, we would all be driving Kubotas and history would be lost forever. Trust me the pain in the hip pocket will fade but the pride in your tractor will not.

Regards, Frank.