Hydraulic oil circuit

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Hydraulic oil circuit

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I’m wondering about using a log splitter on the 3-point linkage of my FMD that will require both a flow and return circuit. I have a ½ inch flow pipe coming from the hydraulic control which I use for tipping the trailer but I’m thinking about getting a log splitter that will need a return circuit.

How can I rig up a return circuit????
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

Tap a hole in the oil filler cap. That's how ours is setup.

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks Ian, this was the way we used to fit the return pipes from rock breakers to the old JCB 3C’s, along the top O/S wing and in to the hydraulic oil filler cap via an extension piece.

I was hoping there would be a bung somewhere else on the back end where I could pipe a return line into.
JB... So what if I am having a mid life crisis, It's only hurting my bank balance

1957 Fordson Major Diesel - 1951 Ferguson TED 20 - Massey Ferguson Type 794 Plough

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Under the cross shaft, on the right as you sit on the seat, near the lift lever, there is a return bung.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Brian wrote:Under the cross shaft, on the right as you sit on the seat, near the lift lever, there is a return bung.
Thank Brian, I'll check it out tomorrow

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Brian wrote:Under the cross shaft, on the right as you sit on the seat, near the lift lever, there is a return bung.
Thank Brian, This looks like the bung to which you refer. I'll get a return circuit set up later this week.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is the one.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

That on ours is missing. Wielded over or something.

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Brian wrote:That is the one.
got the pipe, will fit it tommorow and post a photo

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Re:

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Brian wrote:That is the one.
Got it all rigged up using the flow pipe that the tipping trailer would normally use and return into the port shown in the picture but Log Splitter wouldn’t work.

Found this port to supply pressure rather than allowing a return for the circuit

Nick
True Blue

Re: Hydraulic oil circuit

Post by Nick »

that bung supplies oil on my major too, is there any other way to return oil than in the filler cap?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

nathanwhittaker
True Blue

Post by nathanwhittaker »

Does that bung give out alot off pressure

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

on mine it seems to give out alot of pressure, as soon as you engage the pto which drives the hydraulic pump, oil squirts out of there. It is not controlled by the lever for the rear linkage from memory on mine.....
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ooops! Think that may be a high pressure tapping point straight to the pump! I was certain that was a return to tank. Sorry chaps, I have no diagrams with me until Tuesday next. It may be that the return will have to go through the filler cap after all.
Brian

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Never mind, shows you are human after all brian! :lol:

Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Post by Daves rusty bits »

I`m following this post with interest as a friend is making me a log splitter. My main concern is that the oil flow may not be fast enough and I`ll end up with a machine slower than me with an axe! Also will the splitter have to be taken off the 3 point linkage and be free standing during use as the lift arms will need to be fully up before the trailer pipe cuts in? Or does the trailer pipe work before the lift arms lift ? :scratchhead:
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

nathanwhittaker wrote:Does that bung give out alot off pressure
Well thinking I might have an in-compatible self-sealing coupling in the circuit I disconnected the pipe from this port and started Jack up… :eyes: The engine only ran for a few seconds but it left me with a real mess of oil to clear up. :cry:

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Brian wrote:It may be that the return will have to go through the filler cap after all.
While I was tipping my load of Gas this morning I was looking at the exposed threads on the vapour line fittings and they look a similar size and thread pitch to my filler cap. :scratchhead: So I’ll be taking my filler cap to the fitters :help: and seeing what they can fitting the can sort me out with. :wink:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Brian wrote:It may be that the return will have to go through the filler cap after all.
While I was tipping my load of Gas this morning I was looking at the exposed threads on the vapour line fittings and they look a similar size and thread pitch to my filler cap. :scratchhead: So I’ll be taking my filler cap to the fitters :help: and seeing what they can fitting the can sort me out with. :wink:
Hi Those hydraulic fitting threads on the major are all British standard Pipe (B.S.P) so it should be pretty easy to get them. Don't no if gas fittings are the same or do they use something else Though :?:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

super6954 wrote:Hi Those hydraulic fitting threads on the major are all British standard Pipe (B.S.P) so it should be pretty easy to get them. Don't no if gas fittings are the same or do they use something else Though :?:
Regards Robert
if the filler cap thread is a BSP thread, then I'm laughing, it will be so easy to rig a return circuit through the filler :clap:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
super6954 wrote:Hi Those hydraulic fitting threads on the major are all British standard Pipe (B.S.P) so it should be pretty easy to get them. Don't no if gas fittings are the same or do they use something else Though :?:
Regards Robert
if the filler cap thread is a BSP thread, then I'm laughing, it will be so easy to rig a return circuit through the filler :clap:
Yep they are thats how the returns are on the older majors here in canada when we put a double acting spool on. one line from pressure and the other straight in the fill plug.Hey I'll give you a free new years tip as well :) . When i've done them I put a big tee in . I run the return in to the side then a cap/ plug on the top end. If you do that you don't have to mess with taking the oil return line off to put oil in the axle only take the cap off the end It's been a while since I did one and can't remember sizes/ what parts I used but you should be able to work it out :wink: .
Regards Robert

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks Robert, that’s exactly how we used to pipe the return circuit up for the old JCB’s. I don’t mind going directly into the filler rather than using a tee piece because it will only be occasionally that I need to top the backend up with oil…

Thanks everyone, I’ll get it sorted and post a picture. :beer: :buddies:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Johnnyboy
No Problem on the T fitting I only do it as most of the tractors over here in Canada leak so much oil in the cold it's a regular thing to top them up, And hyd return hoses that are frozen stiff are not fun to work with. it just makes life a little easyer and guys like that :) .
If maintenance is easy theres a 75% chance that oil gets checked and put in not left for another day or until it blows up as you've probably seen before :wink: .

So just a little side track here. what old JCB's did you work on 3c"s or early CX'S I used to buy/ repair/ sell and run 3C2/3s and my last one i used was a mk3 9sp syncro std front bucket/ forks and extenda hoe.
Real good heavy machines with a lot of go if you know how to drive a digger :) . i've pulled rock that these new drivers struggle with and use a breaker on the new machines to do the same job :lol: . I wish I bought that last one over to Canada with me :cry: . It would still dig the hole to bury the new junk guys rave about over here with that stupid centre mount hoe on :wink:
Regards Robert

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

super6954 wrote:So just a little side track here. what old JCB's did you work on 3c"s or early CX'S I used to buy/ repair/ sell and run 3C2/3s and my last one i used was a mk3 9sp syncro std front bucket/ forks and extenda hoe.
Hi Robert, I don’t want to get too far off the thread but briefly I worked for the Sheffield Corporation Waterworks driving a JCB 3 II (JWE246J) up to 1978 when I went to work for TKL Plant hire driving a JCB 3C III with extending Dipper (MHL602P)… Sad when you can remember the registration numbers. :oops: Around Easter 1979 my car developed gearbox problems and while it was of the road, Tommy my boss found me a job near home driving a JCB 6D and I more or less stuck with 360 degree machines until 1987 when I got my HGV licence and went truck driving.

JohnnyBoy
True Blue

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Daves rusty bits wrote:I`m following this post with interest as a friend is making me a log splitter. My main concern is that the oil flow may not be fast enough and I`ll end up with a machine slower than me with an axe! Also will the splitter have to be taken off the 3 point linkage and be free standing during use as the lift arms will need to be fully up before the trailer pipe cuts in? Or does the trailer pipe work before the lift arms lift ? :scratchhead:
Dave, My splitter’s mounted on the 3-point linkage and it does lift right up before the splitter operates. Yet I find this makes the ideal working height. I coupled the flow pipe up and put the return pipe into the filler port and it works a treat but does splash oil out because it’s not a proper fitting assembly. Hopefully I’ll have it coupled up properly in the next 2-days.