Why were these wheels fitted?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
David in Wales
True Blue

Why were these wheels fitted?

Post by David in Wales »

This KFD Major was supplied new to a farm in North Wales, and at sometime in it's life, these wheels were fitted. The original pressed steel wheels have been replaced with "normal" Major cast wheels.
The original rear wheels have been replaced with a modified pair of cast iron wheels off a Standard Fordson. Quite a professional conversion.
My only answer would be to have added (a lot of) extra weight for traction. What do you guys think?
David

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Hi David
My guess would depend on what the tractor was used for and who owned it. Maybe they needed extra weight, or maybe they found some good tires on those wheels and didn't want to spend the time or money to dismount and mount them on the right wheels.

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

These rear tyres are 13.6/12-28 which are large size 28" diameter, the normal KFD rear tyres are 11.25 x 28 - so the basic size is the same.
The fronts are normal Major (cast centres) 600 x 19, whereas the KFD had (steel centres) 600 x 16 which were to comensate for the lower overall diameter of the 28" rears which kept the tractor level.
My research into the remaining KFD's has revealed that several were converted over the years back to normal Major front axles, 36" rear wheels & normal height mudguards. (Some people have the original front axles in their junk pile). Because a KFD had lower ground clearance, hay would ball up under the drawbar.
A lot of KFD68's were sold new into the hilly areas of Welsh Borders, Wales, Devon & Cornwall. Presumably for the lower height - more stability on hill sides.
So my only conclusion is that this one was fitted with the (very heavy) cast wheels to give extra traction.
David

BarryT
True Blue

Post by BarryT »

David,

If those front plates are original that's a 1952 KFD registered here in Anglesey. Have you got any information as to it's history??. My 1952 Diesel Major is BEY 301.

Regards,

Barry

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

Hi Barry;
Three of these KFD68's were sold new by Mona Motors who were the Fordson dealers for North Wales . I believe Stormont had some tractors they wanted to move from stock and the price was advantagous so Mona bought them.
Two were sold near Caernarfon, and this one near Llandudno. One of the others is being restored by John who owns the NH dealership near Caernarfon, and the 3rd may also still exist on the original farm.
Looking at the tractor, it has the later Diesel Major badges, round top air cleaner, deeper seat, and later 3 ribbed mudguards. It looks as though its been modified at some time. If it was a 1952 it would not have these features, and the air cleaner would have been under the bonnet.
You have to take into account that in some areas there were not many vehicles registered, and reg. numbers were not used up quickly. So the tractor may be later build than 1952, but the number was from the earlier period.
Regards David