power steering fixed

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
scbco
Not Quite Blue Yet

power steering fixed

Post by scbco »

I am relieved as have finally fixed the full hydraulic power steering setup on my Super Major First replaced the belt driven hydraulic pump
did not fix it , next ordered a new Char Lynn Orbitrol steering control unit from the US as was cheaper to buy from there ( paid $463 Australian less than half price even after freight cost than it was here at over $1000 we also ordered a new hydraulic pump from Scotland for $780 including freight which was over $1980 here for our Yanmar excavator we get so ripped off and screwed pricewise by local importers here) still did not fix the problem so after using the Super for a couple of hours for some work I had to do thought what the hell will pull the ram apart before I cook dinner and guess what a lousy $2 or $3 "O"ring had a section about 10 mm completely missing so had a looking in a box of generic "O"rings we have found one about twice as thick but only 2/3 the diameter so stretched it into the groove and it was pretty close to what the original looked like in place so put the ram back together did a quick test and it worked I could steer both ways not just to the left all the time and intermittantly to the right yippee we have a miracle.Oh well after all that at least my brothe only has to get a ram hoses and steering column adapter to convert his Super Major to full hydraulic power steering after my dad and I do some work on it to get it into a useable condition for him as it is currently not running.Still I wish we had known it was a blown "O"ring from the start would have saved a lot of time money and frustration.The joys of owning a SuperMajor I suppose (LOL) :( :evil: :roll: :D
At least I can now safely drive it on the road as had a paid job for it come in for mid next week which will require me to drive it about 10 km and back to slash the grass on a block.
Have fun learning about your machines out there.
Regards
Steve
1963 Fordson Supermajor with front end loader and bloodybig boots road licensed runs like a dream