Major water pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Major water pump

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Guys
I pulled the water pump off my 1966 industrial major engine today.
The impellor is different to the spare water pump that I have. It is alot beefier and solid than my spare one. Other than the impellor, it is the same. Was there an upgrade between the models over the years.
Thanks
Kiwi Kev

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Kev,

Most of your answers/clues are in your post.

Industrial Units did not always have the same part suppliers as the tractors or the same specifications for the ancillary equipment.

By 1966 the factory at Dagenham was into cars rather than tractors. The line had gone to Spain. So it is possible that the parts were being made there. Complete engines were being brought into England from the Spanish factory as replacement units for the tractors.

I would suspect these are the reasons for the differences as the parts books show no changes.

The engine I would love to see in a Super is the later industrial unit the 2701 as it was known over here. This had the same rear mounting as the Super so it would bolt straight on to the bell housing, but it had the injection pump direct mounted to the timing case. We had one laying around in the storage area, whilst I was teaching at the local agricultural college but I could not get anyone interested in fitting it up to a Super. They were around 70hp and it would have been something special I think.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
I have ordered a rebuild kit for it.
Kiwi Kev

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Here is a photo of the beefier impellor as discribed above.

I have put a new kit in the pump anyway
Kiwi Kev

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

The engine I would love to see in a Super is the later industrial unit the 2701 as it was known over here.
That is what I fitted in our Weatherill loader based on a '55 major.
The sump was the only problem and I lost the A frame. Not such a problem on the Loader with a fixed industrial axle. It transformed the old girl with loads more grunt. I also lost the original side rails (due to filter iirr) and the engine hung on the gearbox. Never a problem as that is how Chaseside fitted the Major skid in that era.

regards Peter