Do you need an E1ADKN petrol/kero manifold?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tractorbob3
True Blue

Do you need an E1ADKN petrol/kero manifold?

Post by Tractorbob3 »

I have (at last) managed to find time to get the manifold off and although it's not as bad as expected (just one corner broken away) the diverter flap is caked in what looks like fireclay and is well past its sell-by date!

From what I have seen on this BB and from my own enquiries, finding a replacement is going to be somewhere between unlikely and impossible.

I am going to look into the cost of having some manufactured - perhaps a small foundry could be persuaded to set up for a limited production run. Cost would obviously be relative to the numbers required and (I guess) the more there are, the cheaper per unit it will be.

Question 1: If I can get this organised, how many of you might want one (I know it will depend on price)?

Question 2: How important would it be to include the diverter flap mechanism in the new items?

No commitment required from you - just trying to get a handle on the size of the job - please email me at Tractorbob3@aol.com. I'll update the BB with progress.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They do come up occasionly. There was a brand new one at the Shrewsbury Show in 2007.

The flap is pretty important to get her to run well on TVO.

You would need to get the bottom plate done as well, there are plenty of exhaust elbows around.

I seem to remember that Emiel had friends who made either the complete manifold or some of the parts. Perhaps he will come in and tell us. He managed to get me a second hand one a couple of years ago but it was badly cracked and they do not weld well.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Emiel
True Blue

Manifold

Post by Emiel »

Hello,

Here in Holland some guys had the diverter flap made new, inclusive the spring you need for it.

I've not seen the complete manifold in new, but I'll inquire these guys, when I can find their business card (and phone number).

I'll come back on this issue.

If you decide to cast some new ones, I might be interested for one, to make sure I have a good spare. The second hand ones are not a source to trust on I just read here.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Before you can get the manifolds cast, you require a Pattern Maker to make the patterns and core boxes, which is expensive. Once the manifiolds have been cast they will then require to be machined. It used to be common practice to allow castings to weather or season for a number of months, before they were machined, to relieve any stresses in the casting caused by the casting process. So you are looking at a quite considerable financial outlay, before you are likely to see any return.

I understand from some Dutch friends that the cheapest place to have patterns and castings made is in Poland!

If you were to have a large quantity made one of the large Tractor Parts firms would possibly take them off your hands, an avenue which is worth investigating.

Gerald

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Thanks for the feedback chaps - I don't want particularly to have to start from the beginning if someone is already producing all or part of the assembly (and I was intending to set up for the complete unit - manifold, diverter flap and bottom plate), so I hope Emiel will be able to find the contact details of the people he knew.

I'm not underestimating the size of the task (I hope) and I realise this will not be straightforward - but the alternative will be to let (in my case) a perfectly good tractor rot away for the want of one part. If I can master how to get a photo onto this BB I'll show you what I mean.

Nor am I planning to go into mass production! I don't think there's enough of this particular model surviving to make that worthwhile (but I'm happy to be proved wrong). What I had in mind was finding a small foundry that could set up for a small run - the kind of place that produces prototypes for industry, for example. I am assured they do exist but I've not tried to locate one as yet.

The perfect result would be to find an intact unit - as Brian has said, they appear occasionally - but being in the right place at the right time doesn't seem to happen to me! :cry: I'll keep on scouring every magazine, auction ad, whatever, in the meantime - but one way or another I need that part!!

Onwards and upwards ......

mark white
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark white »

Hi guys,

There is a manifold on e-bay item # 160259420313.
May be of interest to someone :?:
MARK WHITE, WESTBURY

mark white
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark white »

Also has the head with it :!:
MARK WHITE, WESTBURY

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is not a petrol/TVO manifold that is a straight petrol one. The TVO one looks like this:

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

mark white
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark white »

ok :oops:
MARK WHITE, WESTBURY

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Hey, Brian - I can't quite make it out, but have you modded the throttle linkage? Mine has a connecting rod that drops from the carb, through a gap in the manifolds and links to the through-engine linkage from the governor. Does yours take a different route, or did you just swing it out of the way for the photo? :?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I took the picture as I was stripping her out because I had a big end fail. The rod has been taken off and you can see the ball ends where it fits. Yes it goes behind the manifold and will heat and flake the metal away so you have to make new ones over the years.
Brian