Antifreeze

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
brownsmule
True Blue

Antifreeze

Post by brownsmule »

I've been hearing a lot of chatter about not using current solution antifreeze in our "Older Engines" because it contains "Organic Acid Technology" what ever that is. It is labeled as extended life, mixes with all brands/colors and is harmful to our Old Iron engines. Chatter indicates that we should use only Ethel Glycol (Old School Antifreeze)
Is there any truth to this and could it be the cause of "porous" problems in some of our engines? I will certainly protect mine from freeze damage however I would prefer a product that will not cause damage in a few years of use. What do y'all think??? BTW, I'm in the USA and this is the product available for us to purchase; so what do the rest of y'all use around the world. Thanks brownsmule

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I use 50% standard antifreeze in all mine here in England. I use it all year round. Don't think I have come up against the new type yet.

In the 1960's, with the X and Y series Fords, we had major head gasket problems on tractors that did not use Ford Antifreeze.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Brownsmule, all I have ever used is Ethylene Glycol antifreeze. 1/3 antifreeze to 2/3 dihydrogen monoxide( Not that often that it gets below 0 c down here). Both my 3000 and 4000 are the best part of 40 years old never had any problems.TSG. :)
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Up here in the Northeast USA we also use standard green antifreeze. 50/50 as Brian has said. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Dandy Dave
standard green antifreeze
I am shocked!
I Use Blue Mobil/Exxon antifreez.

Green is for JD only :rulez:

Mike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Better tell Henry then!

He put green in all the tractors from new. Might have been because, at the time, he was trying to sell the tractor side to JD!

He also put pure white oil into the rear axle of the 4000 and 5000. It stunk! Take it from one who got covered in it!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yup, Every Ford that I ever pulled apart, weather car, truck, or tractor, was green with envy on the inside of the cooling system. :wink:

I see some modern vehicles now have pink. :shock: Must have been a woman chemical engineer that figgured that out. :D Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

the stuff I got from Halfords was Orange!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yeah, I've seen that too. Must be for allis chalmers... :wink: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Or Nuffields!
Brian

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Re: Antifreeze

Post by bluecraig0776 »

I forgot to top up my Major with Anti-Freeze and I'm scared to go look at her after all the ice & snow we've had. Hope she's ok!!!
Fordson Major, Man's best friend.
1957 Fordson Major Diesel - Mid-Restoration

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

If you didn't add any water to it in the warm months, you should be OK. I have two rules around here. Never add plain water to anything that holds Antifreeze, and Drain the old show tractors and machinery that only hold water, and drip, right after using them. If it is a good tractor and used for any work at all, Fix the leaks and keep it winterized. It is much better on the inside of the cooling system and inhibits rust. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I haven't got that problem this winter, my Dexta is still in bits! The greenhouse plants though - well -10 deg c wiped out a lot of plants and a sprayer.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's