oil change

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Andrew,

Hydraulic and rear axle is the same compartment. Gearbox is separated. They both need the same oil and your litres are right.
The dipstick is between the rear axle and gearbox on the left side.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Andrew - you might find that oil leaks from the gearbox to the back axle, which results in the back axle getting over-full (you will see that on the dipstick) and the gearbox running low on oil (check via the filler plug by the PTO lever - it's a common fault leading to a stigg gearchange when hot and (sometimes) leakage through the axle shafts (not good news). The remedy (I understand) is to split the tractor and replace the leaking seals, but if the seepage is not too bad, you can get away with transferring oil back from one to the other. There's an easy way and a hard way to do this - if you need to know the easy way, come back on the board. The reason I say this is because early models used SAE 90 which was slow to migrate, whereas SAE 30 or 40 will movew through quite quickly. Hope this helps.

henk

Post by henk »

Mind you Andrew, 60 litres is a lot of oil.
I pump the oil out of the rear end with the hydraulic pump. Then I let the rest of it out through the hole under the pump. Works great.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

The back axle and the gearbox each have a big round plate bolted on underneath the tractor with a gasket - mine each have a plug in the centre, but a friend's tractor has a plug in one but not in the other, so there may be variations.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Andrew,

I let the oil out via the external hydraulics (for a tipping trailer for example). Check out my story about the raised pto on the Wiki on this site. There you also have some pictures.

The oil was out in about ten minutes, I believe

Good luck
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.