head lights

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gubbels
True Blue

head lights

Post by Gubbels »

I have a question about the head lights, there are two ways to mount them on the side of the fron, on the upper section or halfways as you can see on the following pics.
what is original? I am starting on the sheetmetal works and I want to weld one hole.

the pics (not mine, just found them on the internet):

Thanks,
Restoration project: Fordson Power Major 6 cyl. Conversion http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=9&t=1612

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Re: head lights

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

All the Majors we suplied came with the headlights in the lower position, if the farmer want to use the tractor with a pulley, we put them into the top holes, Also some were fitted with early Horndraulic loaders and had to have the lights in the top. Some people would drill holes in the top of the cowl but i think it spoilt the look of the tractor.Jim.
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

neilarmo
True Blue

Post by neilarmo »

I'm fettling a 1952 major which has a MIL loader. I'm in favour of fitting lights a la Super Major, which will really upset the purists.
I understand it is 'acceptable' for showing to fit the lights on top of cowl, but I don't want to. But I'll probably use Major grills rather than Super ones, not sure yet. A long way to go before the question of light position comes up.

N

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

neilarmo wrote:I'm fettling a 1952 major which has a MIL loader. I'm in favour of fitting lights a la Super Major, which will really upset the purists.
I understand it is 'acceptable' for showing to fit the lights on top of cowl, but I don't want to. But I'll probably use Major grills rather than Super ones, not sure yet. A long way to go before the question of light position comes up.

N
Thats a good point as it happens, because when the Mil loaders came, they came with a bracket which went over the top of thr cowl and picked up the two holes where the lights were fitted. so when the lights were mounted they were in the correct position, I think they used to look rather cool sat up there, whilst two headlights just plonked on the top of the cowl looked out of place.
I have no idea where one gets a bracket from these days but you could make one, :idea:
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Here is the way the original Butlers are mounted on my Fordson Power Major.

Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

neilarmo wrote:I'm fettling a 1952 major which has a MIL loader. I'm in favour of fitting lights a la Super Major, which will really upset the purists.

N
Hi
If you are going to fit the lights in the grill like the super major has I would use the super grills lights and brackets . There is a hole can of ugly worms involved in putting power major style lights in the front and using the original grills with no holes :wink: .
Ive got one over here in Canada that was done by a dealer when it was new. It is a right mess with clearance issues on the Radiator and the general look of it :cry: .
Regards
Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.