diesel major badges

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
super6
True Blue

diesel major badges

Post by super6 »

why are some bonnet badges on diesel majors fitted with a big D on the diesel and some worded fordson major with diesel in small letters below.
would one type be more rare than the other and what is the correct fitment?
hopefully this is not going to cause to many arguements like grill colour :lol: :lol:

Nick
True Blue

Re: diesel major badges

Post by Nick »

ah yes grill colours................. my major has the big D for diesel, my father in-laws 58 major has just 'fordson major' on the bonnet.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Super6,

As far as I know, the first Majors were with petrol, TVO and diesel engines.
To mark the diesel version it had the small diesel badge under the Fordson Major badge.
After the mark II engine the petrol and TVO engines were no longer build and the badge changed in the one with the big D.
Somewhere in between there has been diesel majors with no big D or small diesel badge like mine. I’ve seen many of them now.
The small diesel badge is not easy to find. There are replicas but there not pretty.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

The big Diesel badge was introduced in 1953/54 somewhere, the Diesel was allready far more popular than the other engines. The big Diesel badge was dropped somewhere near April 1957 when the TVO tractor was discontinued. Petrol majors remained available till the end.

For exact details I should get my books and find it out.

Regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964