Will She Stand?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

Will She Stand?

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, seems not much going on here today so I wanted to ask if I can put this Major back up on her feet withour the engine?
ImageImageImageImage
I have the side rails and all steering parts. Anyway just wondering if possible to stand her up without engine block in her.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

brownsmule
True Blue

Re: Will She Stand?

Post by brownsmule »

I don't know but sure hope so. All in one piece looks so much better than a parts pile and it would be moveable if need be. Here is wishing ya couple of warm dry days to get it all together again.
brownsmule

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

i think it will, but you will only be able to attach the side rails with two bolts to the gearbox because two bolts go to the block. also it wont steer properly because the radius rod attaches to the sump, but the wheels could go on i reckon so you could move it about.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Gman
I was thinking about this the other day when you suggested it. If it was me I would put the side rails on they go with 4 bolts each side not 2. put the oil pan back on if you have it, bolt the front axle back on and make a bracket to hold the side rails to the oilpan instead of using the timing gear back plate as the original did for support at the motor front. this would give some strenght to the front end as she's going to be weak on the 4 centre bolts on the gearbox. this would also then keep the axle level and pointing the right way.Then put all the tin on and maybe some cool side shields like the pullers have, That would hide the lack of motor :wink: .
I hope the grandchild likes the new tractor toy :wink: :D .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Yes they do. This is my Super Major during restoration. My second Super is standing without it's engine at the moment.

Just bolt up the side rails and front cross member and axle. The tractor is a heck of a lot lighter without the engine.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.