Petrol Major governor not working

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Petrol Major governor not working

Post by Miles »

I know this has been discussed before but couldn't locate on this or the old forum...

I have a petrol major (~56) that has no throttle response to inputs from the operator lever when cold. The rod
thru the engine is free and it does correct itself when warm most of the time...What's wrong?

When it works...the governor works well...

Thanks in advance

Regards

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Re: Petrol Major governor not working

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Hello Miles - I see you posted this some time ago and have had no responses. Did you solve the problem? If not, I'll try to help - I have a'52 Petrol/Kero E1A and I think the governor set up is the same.

So you start the tractor, then move the control lever down ... and nothing happens? How long does the tractor have to run before the engine responds to control lever movements? - or does it not always respond?

If you can give as much detail of what happens and what you've tried, I'll have a think .... :scratchhead:
Regards - Bob

1961 Super Major

Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Miles »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reaching out...

Yes the control lever has no effect on RPM...I can move the linkage on the carb directlty to change RPM
but is not governed. After 10mins it generally starts to work but not always

I think the issue may be related to the spring length and tension in the governer unit. My service manual does not
have a governor section so I am not sure what the original specs are.

I have 4 petrol majors and all seem to have different springs installed???? The problem may also be
related to the adjustable length shaft that controls the carb.

If anyone has service data on this, my email is open

Thanks in advance.

FYI - I use this tractor weekly in the winter connected to a 6ft snowblower in 2 Low ...and use all of its available power. I have used a
few times since orginal post and governor has been working fine.

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Hi Miles - I'm not sure that I'm going to be much help. Working backwards, I'm pretty sure it is nothing to do with the adjustable control rod - if it is not getting any inputs from the governor it won't move and if you can move it directly, it's not that that's seized. And unless you've done something drastic with it, there's no reason for it to be causing a problem. Have you looked at the original manuals on this website? They probably contain some detail of the governor workings and that may point you in the right direction. I have a Workshop Manual and will take a look at it and see if there's any detail there, but getting it to you could be a problem, so if the site manuals are available to you, that's probably best.

My '52 E1A used to respond slowly when I first re-started it (after 30 something years laid up), so I just stripped out what I could in the governor area, cleaned it and reassembled it with some lube and it's worked fine ever since - I take it you've tried that? I'm still using the original springs etc - didn't change a thing.

Let us know how you get on - sorry I couldn't be more help.
Regards - Bob

1961 Super Major