power major aux hydraulics modifications

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

power major aux hydraulics modifications

Post by simonj »

Hi this is really a post following my original one in Jan 2009. At the time I was hoping someone might suggest an after-market design for an hydraulics circuit independent of the lift arms for my power major. I see Mike Kuscher in his post of Apr 2009 has the same problem.
After some thought I designed a solution for myself and made a working prototype. Essentially its a bolt-on replacement cover of the lift arm valve box with a HP outlet which I feed into an auxiliary spool valve. I have been using it with my finger bar hedge cutter, and front loader and it's a joy operating them without the lift arms moving.
I have not had any problems with it as yet but would welcome any comments from people with more experience than me if they think I might expect any. If people are interested I will post pictures of the set-up.

Thanks

Looking to improve in a Major way

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: power major aux hydraulics modifications

Post by henk »

SimonJ,

Always interested, so yes please pictures or drawings.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

JC

Post by JC »

:yeah:

Most of mine have DAR valves, but I'd sure like to see another solution for the ones that don't.

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/p1241317.jpg/ http://img833.imageshack.us/i/p1241318.jpg/
Can someone tell me how to embed images with the text so they are visible, It'll make it easier for me to add a description. I've read your FAQ but can't find how to use the BBcode.

Ta

henk

Post by henk »

Simonj,

Just put img in front and /img at the end and both between [ ]
Kind regards, Henk

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

henk

Post by henk »

John,

Interesting setup. You are using the channel that provides pressure for a second original valve.
How does the return work?
Kind regards, Henk

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Back in through the filler plug behind the seat I expect, thats how my McConnell constant output adaptor is hosed.

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for the pictures. Nice job. Is it made from aluminum? Did you machine it yourself?

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

you could sell these SimonJ. how much did it cost to make?

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

img[http://img62.imageshack.us/i/p1241317.j ... 41318.jpg/]/img

Hi,

Yes Henk the new cover has a recess with oil ring behind the o/p tapping as you surmised. The feed goes to the spool valve (see picture) and the return out of the valve around the back and into the top-up hole.

It is made from steel at home from an off-cut I bought at a local machine shop. If I was to do it again I would get a professional to make it with a few cosmetic changes. I didn't at the time want to spend a lot of money when I wasn't sure if it would work.

One thing I will say to anyone else who tries this is to be sure that the feed always has some way to return either via a unloading/relief valve as I've done using a spool valve box or direct to the reservoir. I am not confident that the existing FM hydraulics would be very happy if the HP outlet was stopped off.

JC what are DAR valves?

Thanks for your interest

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

DAR stands for, "Double Acting Ram." My Power Major came though with a DAR valve. From what Brian has said, the tractors shipped here to the states had a different hydraulic arrangment than the ones sold over there. I have two Plug ins on my Power major and both hoses go to the valve and can run the angle ram on my York Rake for instance. And they are independent of the 3 point hitch arms as I use those as well while York Raking.

I thought they were all that way until I found this website and some of the posters said they were "green with envy." I slip in it and came out smelling like a rose when I got my Power Major as it has many extras that I would have thought were Standard at the time. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

John.n

I've been thinking about your post asking about getting some made and selling them. At the moment I'm trying it out to see if any problems occur, plus I would rather improve the design to include a return and allow it to be a stand alone box (something like the original) with a 1/2" push connector, so any implement with it's own spool valves might be plugged in.

That said - If enough people want one as it is and use it with a dedicated spool valve. I could take mine to a few engineering firms and ask for quotes. I imagine to keep the price down I would need to order at least 10. I cut my own gasket out of gasket paper, and the O rings I had lying around, so I would have to source them from somewhere too.

What do you think people might be willing to pay for something like this, I've only seen one other post of someone who would like something similar.

Ta

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

could i suggest you make it from a thicker plate. have the fitting on one side so that you dont have a pipe between your legs. and design a bracket that could hold the pipe out the back. and i think you could have a good kit to sell. :!:

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

simonj wrote:
I've been thinking about getting some made and selling them.
I could take mine to a few engineering firms and ask for quotes. I imagine to keep the price down I would need to order at least 10. I cut my own gasket out of gasket paper, and the O rings I had lying around, so I would have to source them from somewhere too.

What do you think people might be willing to pay for something like this, I've only seen one other post of someone who would like something similar.
Why don't you just drill and tap the original cover plate. Every tractor with hydraulic lift has one already.
To save room for getting on and off the tractor, maybe you could fit an elbow fitting, and then a straight hyd connector, instead of a straight nipple, and the hyd bend connector.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hi all,
Auxillary two way hydraulics on our Australian wheat belt tractors used a slightly different set up,
A commercially made block is inserted between the housing and the cover plate it incorperates a spool with the handle along side of the existing lift arm handle.

I would think to save costs the same thing could be made without the spool and just supply a remote modern spool.

I have my 1961 power major set up with a home made fork lift ion the back, I bought a modern hydraulic top tpl which tilts the forks and the lift oil pressure is switched over by a period rotary spool ( which works under slight load too ) then I lift via the normal tpl linkage and also the auxillary hydraulic block feeding a double acting lift ram.

It does reduce the room behind the gearstick but still managable.

One delivery hose comes from the LHS and the other comes from the centre top of the additional block.

My 1962 Super Major ( project ) also has an auxillary hydraulic system which is quite different and made by the Moore hydraulic company, I am going to make this one a 6cyl when I get all the parts together, I am looking for the splined cross shaft and a lift arm together with some of the other tpl bits.
I have a engine from a Class header but not sure which injection pump type the 1962 model would have used, I have both types to pick from, though I do not know if they will both work.

Mike

simonj
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by simonj »

Mike I read your post with interest,
A commercially made block is inserted between the housing and the cover plate it incorporates a spool with the handle along side of the existing lift arm handle
It sounds like someone down-under had the same idea before me, is it still available?. I would be interested to see some pictures - could you post some.
I would think to save costs the same thing could be made without the spool and just supply a remote modern spool.
- this essentially is what I've done, but as mentioned in my post jan 27 it has no relief valve (as yet).

Excuse me for being ignorant but
(1) is an Australian wheat belt tractor a fordson major?
(2) what is 'a period rotary spool'

Pictures of the fork lift would be nice too.

Simon

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I have some pictures for you, sorry forgot about the forklift, will do that next time.
I didn't word my last comment very well, yes this is very similar to the Idea pictured previously.

Fordson tractors were used in our West Autsralain Wheat belt for draw bar work mainly, and some did not even have a Hydraulic top housing, I saw one of these only yesterday.

Generally wheat belt farmers started in remote hydraulic work to lift their plows etc, Grazing properties near the coast later purchased these tractors and some lucky owners got remote hydraulics, but it was far from common.

Some tractors recieved Power steering and a couple of companies converted some to 6 cylinders in small numbers.
I am trying to replicate one of these 6cylinder tractors too when I get enough parts together.

Mike

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

Hi while i dont recomend it but i have seen done is to basicly to drill two holes one above the other in the diff casing at the right place cut feed pipe between pump and linkage top place two elbows through casing with hoses to control valve .so oil goes out one though control valve back in through other on to linkge works but much better proper valve b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

simonj wrote:http://img62.imageshack.us/i/p1241317.jpg/ http://img833.imageshack.us/i/p1241318.jpg/
Can someone tell me how to embed images with the text so they are visible, It'll make it easier for me to add a description. I've read your FAQ but can't find how to use the BBcode.

Ta
Hi,

Do you have a picture of the backside of your plate?
I am in need of one for my own power major :)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

Hi,

If you only drill and tap the original cover plate, it does not work quite well.
Something like this should work, ( click the picture and it gets bigger ):

This plate has 3/8 inch passages.
I managed to get one plate but havent tested it yet...... :D .
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

nashby
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by nashby »

Hi, would you be able to make me one of these valves or does anyone know of a proper dar valve for my new major, 1955, i need it to use a forklift, any help greatly appreciated , also can i make my forklift work by locking the lift arms down with some kind of aframe? cheers, Nick

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

Works fine, pressure comes from the upper passage, return to lower.

I measured a bit too long hoses, :D
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

timbw
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by timbw »

hi just wondering if this modification can be done to a 1955 diesel major as the back of my cover plate is not flat, it has two cut outs to allow oil to circulate.could i get round this by fitting a power major cover plate or will this cause another problem.

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

timbw wrote:hi just wondering if this modification can be done to a 1955 diesel major as the back of my cover plate is not flat, it has two cut outs to allow oil to circulate.could i get round this by fitting a power major cover plate or will this cause another problem.
You will have to make a new plate without the cutout.
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR