is this normal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
super6
True Blue

is this normal

Post by super6 »

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn37 ... ctor075.jp
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn37 ... tor076.jpg
took of rocker cover to see if my diesel return is leaking which it is oil is like water, and found this mess.
when i started engine with cover of i get no oil to top of engine, it looks like someone has filled the top of engine with flaky black paint.
how do i clean this up?
sorry about pics i tried to reduce pixels on camera but i think i went to much.

Nick
True Blue

Re: is this normal

Post by Nick »

when i start my engine with the cover off, oil comes out of the rocker arms and runs down into where the cam is. Looks like its all blocked up. Have you got good oil pressure?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

oil pressure is not great but light goes out when revved, it does have about 3l of diesel in oil at present so i am hoping when i change oil, pressure will be better.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have used a high pressure washer to clean up messes like this. I would highly recomend that you pull the pan down and see how much muck is in the bottom also before washing it down. You need to do this in a warm place, or in good weather. I have used an air hose to blow excess water out of places that it lays. Yes, an oil change should bring the oil pressure back. Find the leaks and repair them. Oil the valve train well before putting it back together. It is a sign that the engine has many faithful hours on it, and oil changes may have been few. Dandy Dave.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

does the sump on a major have any hidden bolts or are the all obvious,

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

None of them really hidden but you need to look closely up front; it’s not unusual to miss one. If the pan doesn’t pop right off look again.
While you’re in there you may want to take a peek at the crank bearings, amazingly they normally survive being run in what seems to be mostly a heavy grade of fuel oil. Look at a top insert on a rod, if you see a little brass plastiguage it, but you’re probably fine, if you see a lot of brass, plastiguage it, if it’s past the brass and into the steel of the insert….you’re going to have a bad day.

Pat

River
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by River »

For the record I don't agree with this tip.An old tractorman,former horse ploughmam,used to drain sump,then part fill with diesel/TVO,run then drain,fill with new oil. Now don't shoot me down(I'm blue to),of all the makes of engines we've ever had or serviced,our blue ones are more prone to this,even as late as 6600s.

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

Check also that the banjo junctions for injector overflow pipe are tight. If leaking fuel solder the the banjo pieces to tube again.
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

cleaned and rebuilt top of engine, dropped sump to check pan filter, amazingly the sump and mesh were perfectly clean, probably as a result of diesel in the oil.
re filled oil and started good oil pressure when cold, i have yet to get warm yet so fingers crossed.

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

Even the fuel feed pump diaphragm can leak. The oil pressure switch is not a reliable sign of sufficient oil pressure. The light goes out at abt. 0,3 kilo pressure and there should be abt. 2,8 kilo with hot oil, except when idling.
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466