new performance super head on a super?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

new performance super head on a super?

Post by dwol »

I have a chance to purchase a rebuilt head for my 62 major. Which has a majorly screwed up head. My major has the compression release, but the one for sale does not. I am assuming that it is off of the new performance super major, because I know they did away with the compression release around 62 or so. My question is, are there any issues using this head on my block? will everything fit and still work the way it should?
Kind regards,
Dave

Kjetil
True Blue

Re: new performance super head on a super?

Post by Kjetil »

To my knowledge the compressor release was also used on the New Performance Super major. I have a 64 model with a compressor release.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

new performance head will have FL cast on it just above diesel pump.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

It could be the head of the industrial engine version of the "Fordson Major"4 cyl engine, the 592E engine, if I remember correct. I think it would fit though. :scratchhead:

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dwol »

I will check on the "FL" and see if it is on the head. But Does anyone know if the heads are interchangeable? From an old post I found the following:
1) there are 2 main types of blocks MK3 and Super
2) Heads from MK3 will fit on older blocks but lifters are at a different angle and you have to see if they will hit anything.
Still not sure what would happen if you put a head with the "FL" on an older block, say mk3 or older.
Kind regards,
Dave

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dwol »

Some more info on this, the new head is stamped: DD 3E E1ADDN 6050 F
Does anyone know what this means?

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

All variations of engine parts are seen on Fordson Majors. I do not have the shop manual to hand at the moment, but from what I remember, a NP head should easily fit a standard super engine.

Main difference is the optimised air flow in the newer heads and increased valve spring strength if I remember correctly.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

dwol
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dwol »

Thanks to all for your replies. Turns out the head I am getting is one letter older not newer than the one I have. The head I am getting is stamped "6050 F" and mine is stamped "6050 G". I thought that the older heads all had a decompression lever. Appears to not be the case.
Kind regards,
Dave

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

All tractors I know had the decompressor lever except trucks engines. (Ford Trader)
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

dwol wrote:Thanks to all for your replies. Turns out the head I am getting is one letter older not newer than the one I have. The head I am getting is stamped "6050 F" and mine is stamped "6050 G". I thought that the older heads all had a decompression lever. Appears to not be the case.
Kind regards,
Dave
Hi if that head is older you have to watch that the inlet and exhaust ports are the same as your old head as theres 2 types of intake and exhaust manifolds. some heads the ports are in line. and some are staggerd . the other thing is that the rocker arms and stuff are different on old and new heads. I think the push rods fowl the head if thats wrong to. the later style decompressor lever is on the rocker shaft front so the head casting is the same just swap shafts and cover if needed. There is a hole load of stuff that could come up as issues here just try and get a head the same as yours or post up pictures and we will try and help you more i guess :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hi,
I agree care needs to be taken when swapping either Heads or rocker shafts, with our models here in Australia, the models with the throttle through the block all had the decompression lever and none from 1959 on had them.

At some point in 1959 the block changed to the one with the throttle shaft bolted to the back and the in line larger ports.
I fitted a 1959 head to my 1961 Power Major and I had to use the 1959 rocker shaft because the pustrods did not have the clearance as they go through the head, the reason for this is because the Power Major though head looking Identicle to the 1959 head, actually has more casting clearance internally, this is to clear the increased rocker arm ratio/ length.

The later heads changed to the FL ones I believe.

I would think that a late type head and rocker shaft & Manafolds would fit a early 57 - 8 Throttle shaft through block engine, but not much point in doing it the other way as the power output would be down quite a bit.

Just be careful about those 1959 heads as they don't interchange with the Power or Super Major ones without losing power and requiring the correct rockers.

Mike, high and dry in Australia.