A few too many

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

A few too many

Post by Miles »

Oldest on the right...

Regards

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Miles
To paraphrase an old saying,"Too many is in the eye of the beholder." They look good to me, but I think you're a little short on Countys. Which model is that one?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Miles,
That is a great line up. How about a little history of each one?
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

Hi Miles;
Where are you located? Some of my wife's tribe are on the Alberta & Saskatchewan border, emigrated there in 1920.
David

Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Miles »

History from right to left

1249930 Petrol Feb/53 w/ Robin loader - First major purchased about 8 years ago - use to clean corrals and move snow in winter. Needs motor rebuild (near zero oil pressure when warm) but starts on first crank - wish I could find petrol engine parts.

1248368 Petrol Jan/53 (Belt Pulley)- Off farm as original - Used with belt driven saw mill until ~ 1980 and then sat untouched until 2005 when I purchased. Engine seized but left in gear on travel home and was free when unloading. Cleaned out fuel lines and lift pump, added some fresh gas, cleaned points and it fired right up. Not used very often - need 3pt implement to attach.

1247425 Petrol Dec/52 ( Belt Pulley, Automatic Clutch Release) - Purchased at estate auction, ran very poorly but managed to load on trailer. Previous owner had done a quick paint job, blue paint on everything (just like original). I first checked plugs, two were wet (2 and 4), changed plugs but had same result. Not sure why but checked to make sure plug wires were in correct order (2 and 4 reversed!) - Engine stared right up and purred like a kitten. Attached to 3pt 8ft culivator which I use occasionally.

1287395 Petrol Mar/54 (Belt Pulley) - Spent its life attached to "Zamboni" (used to clean and flood ice rink) and stored indoors (No rust). Original zenith carb had been replaced with single barrel ford downdraft (torched hole in bonnet for clearance), lift pump bypassed in favor of electric pump. It took awhile but found original carb and changed bits back to original. Runs well and I have attached to 60's vintage Allied snow blower which I use to clear snow in the winter. Petrol majors will start without heating aids in the coldest of winters. I have started and used this one at 40 below C (the trans was a little stiff as were my fingers and toes)

1494045 PowerMajor Diesel Dec/58 (Non Live PTO, Belt Pulley)- A great example of a factory original. This unit is exactly as it was originally except for lift pump and water pump which needed replacement. Connected to 3pt early 60's Ford 908 rotary cutter which I use a couple of times a year in pasture.

1605981 SuperMajor Jun/61 (Live Rasied PTO) - Sat untouched for 25 years on hill side near where I grew up. Engine and brakes seized but able to drag on trailer. Left in gear on ride home and all had freed when time to unload. Removed head and found water in one cylinder only which cleaned up nicely. Replaced head, cleaned all fuel lines, checked timing but would not start. Removed timing cover to find camshaft bolts from loose but timing marks OK. Pump coupler was 180 degrees out!!!! (Thanks for the tip Brian) I rely on this tractor weekly using New Idea 503 loader to feed our horses 1200lb round bales.

1584105 SuperMajor Jan/61 (Live PTO, Belt Pulley) - Newest member to the team (2 weeks in my posession). Again a very good example of off farm original except for an odd mix of toggle switches and extra wires. I will get the wires sorted shortly. Currently attached to 8ft rear 3pt blade which I use to level drive way.

B814084 County SuperSix 954 ~ Aug/65 - Currently work in progress slowly finding parts to bring everything back to original. Engine starts and runs well but is a little noisy on the top and is in need of new rocker shafts. Currently attached to IH 101 ground drive manure spreader but looking for period correct front mount snow blower for winter use.

Regards

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Miles
A very impressive lineup of great tractors. :beer:
Is there a good collection of petrol Majors in Canada?
Kiwi Kev

Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Miles »

David...originally from small town called Marsden near Sask/AB border but now in Saskatoon. Maybe I know some of your wife's tribe? What was her maiden name?

Kiwi Kev...Seems like we may have more than our share of petrol majors in Canada. I know where there are a few others at wrecking yards

Regards

henk

Post by henk »

Great stuff Miles, :clap:

Are you using them all, or are some for collecting.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Miles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Miles »

Henk,

I try to use all of them but currently out of implements.

Any suggestions?

Regards

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

One suggestion, would be to send them to live with me.... :D :D :D

Richard.