Download Valve

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
icom102
True Blue

Download Valve

Post by icom102 »

I have been told i need a download valve for my fordson major be cause the back arms keep going down when the tractor is not running can anyone point me in the direction as to where to get one or has anyone a picture of what one looks like?

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Download Valve

Post by henk »

Icom102,

Mine is also going down, even when the engine and pto runs. :cry: I have tried to fix it before but failed. :curse: Hope we will get an answer now because I have a second go soon. :eyes:
One person told me I have to put a coin under the relief valve. Another man told me it’s the piston on the side that you adjust with the lever. It would be worn and leaking.
I DON”T KNOW. :cry:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

have u herd of this download valve?

henk

Post by henk »

I don't know what that would be.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi icom. I believe I read on another post that you have hydraulics like my Power Major. There is a valve called unloading valve, it opens up after so much preasure, around 2200psi max. It is adjusted by shims/washers. This maybe what Henk is talking about using a coin to adjust. Be careful of this adjustment because you can create too much preasure in your system :cry: . This valve can stick open. It is located on left side under seat in valve chest, has a small cover held down by three screws. Do a search on my post where I repaired my hydraulics or just search unload valve. Good luck. :beer:
Last edited by Gman on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi all,

The valve that the mechanic may have been refering to could be the unloading valve. If it gets stuck it will cause the arms to not lift properly. There are lots of discussions on this site regarding the hydraulics. You might try a search on unloading valve to find your answer. The old site had a good few posts as well. Sorry I can't help any further as I am no expert on the E1A hydraulics.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

ok said the valve holds oil can a new one of these be got or a kit to repair it?