Upper towing hook SuperMajor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Pascal
True Blue

Upper towing hook SuperMajor

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

I bought myself an (non-original) upper towinghook for my SuperMajor. I think it comes from an army vehicle.

In my opinion, there are 2 ways to mount it on my tractor: with or without the rocker on.
I have made some pictures, to make it more clear for you: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=CBWTHOEL

On the first pictures, the rocker is on. But do you think, that this will be strong enough?
My concern is, that the upper pin/whole will damage, with a heavy tipping trailer in the upper towing hook.
The advantage for this option, is that I do not have to make much adjustments to the towing hook.

On the last pictures, the rocker is removed. The towing hook (after some adjustments) will be mounted on the lower 2 pins/wholes.
I think, they will be strong enough to carry and pull an heavy tipping trailer.

What do you think is best?
Looking forward to your reactions.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Pascal,

If you want to see what the inside of a lift looks like, connect that pin to the yoke on the back of the lift! :twisted: All that holds that yoke in is a very fine small thread and any load on the yoke will pull the back out and terminally damage the linkage.

You may find that the draw-bar you have is for a tractor without a lift.

You may be better off pulling on the two holes in the yoke pivot but even that would worry me as all you pull is on the threads of four bolts into a cast housing. If you look at the pull point of the normal draw-bar you will see that its mounting is clamped to the bottom of the axle with four bolts and two dowels to withstand a shearing force rather than a direct pull on the threads. The Ford version of a high level hitch point pulls from underneath then through a vertical frame with the hook mounted on a spring. It does not use any of the bolts or drillings on the back casting.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your quick answer and thank you for saving me a lot of trouble/damage. :)

I will modify my towing hook to a better one.

Thanks again!!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.