hi everyone engine rebuild questions

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
nathanwhittaker
True Blue

hi everyone engine rebuild questions

Post by nathanwhittaker »

hi everyone i have got a 1952 fordson major tractor what has had a power major vengine put in her. they is water getting into the oil what i suspect is the head gasket what on its way out. im just wondering if its worth just going for a full engine rebuild while im taking the head off. were is the best place too get a full engine kit. thanks for takin the time too look regaurds nathan

1962 model
True Blue

Re: hi everyone engine rebuild questions

Post by 1962 model »

Best to see if your engine can be rebuilt first,
Rebuild kits are available easily here in Australia but that won,t help you much, I suggest you try Agriline or your local Ford New Holland Dealership.

These engines are getting pretty old now ( like me ) and the bottom liner "O" ring groves do corrode out, if these are badly coroded you are best to find another block, or they can be machined too, but first check which one you have, as there at least three versions, the early ones with the throttle shaft through the block, the 1959 & 1960 ones and then the 1962 on, Super Major ones with the bouble liner "O" rings, ( I am sure someone will correct me if I missed any types. )

Be also be aware if swapping heads, not to mix up rocker gear between heads as this can cause "Major" problem with push rod clearances.

Good luck, check your engine condition first,

Mike

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

isn't it possible to find some material to seal the o ring groove ?
Our old tractor has started leaking water into the sump so I either suspect the O ring has gone, or corroded or both. So I might give it a go at rebuilding the whole thing.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Hi Ian,
Here's some interesting reading material for you.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 00260.html

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

There are some alternatives what you can do.

Machine the block for super cylinder liners. They are larger.

Clean the groove with the black paint removing disk. Then you must only leave one side of the disk to get down in the groove and use an accudriven drill at low rpm from the crankcase side. Leaking water will make small channels behind the O-ring. A red silicone O-ring is far superior to the standard O-ring. Size 5x110 mm. The material is very flexible and seals better than original. They do not even harden as original O-rings at 80 degree celsius. Stands for temperatures over 200 deg. C.

I know that pine tar has been used as sealant, but my grooves didn't need it. Pine tar works very well as thread locking material and keeps the water out from threads acc. to my experience at least 50 years. It has been used as standard material on truck body bolts and nuts. No problem to open these nuts after 20 or 50 years. Only the odor tells what has been used.
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466