starter wont engage sometimes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

starter wont engage sometimes

Post by relick »

Hi all, I am a newbie here, just purchased my 1st, a 58 Power Major and I love it, matter of fact I may be converting from Landrovers, I am feeling a little unfaithful..... I bought my old girl from the original owners, everything is peachy except that you have to activate the starter a number of times before it engages and turns the motor over, the starter motor spins freely without engaging. Can anyone tell me if this is a simple fix or something more dramatic.
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: starter wont engage sometimes

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome aboad Matey! :D Sounds like it could be the switch on the starter that engages the solenoid, or the soleniod itself, or a faulty connection or wire. If you hear a clicking under the hood when you push down on the starter lever, and the starter does not turn, then it is the solenoid. If not, then the switch on top of the starter, or a wire is faulty. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope all is well. Not sure if an old post is still on here but Brian told me how to check my solenoid by testing it with a wire connected directly to the battery but I do not remember the steps he told me. After following his directions it was my solenoid. This post would have been late 2009. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by relick »

Thanks guys, I will pull it down and have a look!!
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major

Supermanuel
True Blue

Post by Supermanuel »

Is the starter Lucas or some aftermarket unit?

If Lucas and starter is turning, but engine not, the reason may by slip in Bendix clutch.
New Performance Super Major Manuel 08D970466

relick
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by relick »

It's the original starter, and yes it turns over no problems, fast and smooth, but does not engage the motor for a few tries, it seems to be improving with use so I will see how it goes, Thanks.
Relick

1958 Fordson Power Major