Hand Brake Lever Removal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Laurie
True Blue

Hand Brake Lever Removal

Post by Laurie »

Any special tips for driving out the rivet that retains the hand brake lever on the shaft ?

I am having trouble getting it to move. I have tried a hammer and drfit and a bit of heat but no luck so far. Any ideas other than a bigger hammer and more heat !

Thanks

Laurie

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Hand Brake Lever Removal

Post by Sandy Mac »

I have a funny feeling that the cotter pin which holds on the handbrake lever MIGHT be tapered and can only come out "upwards", if you understand. I will have a look later today at one of mine.
Sandy

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Sandy

Thanks for the response but the pin on my hand brake has a large round head at one end (like a large rivet) so it can only come out one way.

Laurie

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Makes sense Lawrie.
I didnt get a chance to look today, but it is only 4 years since i took the handbrake lever off my super 6 so i could be dreaming !!!

I will try and have a refresher course on monday.

Sandy.

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Sandy

No sign of any movement with brute force so decided to drill the rivet out. Handbrake lever now removed for refurbishment.
Not sure why the rivet was so tight and it was a shame to destory it but it was only off the spare gearbox that I am using to repair the one in the tractor.Hopefully the handbrake rivet on the tractor will be more obliging.

Cheers

Laurie