Low oil pressure

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Low oil pressure

Post by Millwall Paul »

I'm new to restoring tractors, I have a Super Major circa 1962 ish that i have just changed a leaky sump gasket on. When I restarted the engine it was a bit clatery while the oil circulated and then went back to normal. After 2 or 3 minutes the engine started smoking very heavily from the breather so I switched it off. I checked the rocker cover and found a distinct lack of oil. Is there any way to check the pressure of the oil pump, or to check the oil flow? All the guages are missing and it appears to have been well butchered wiring wise before I got it. Is there a pressure check point on the block for checking the oil pressure / fitting a pressure guage? I'm waiting on my manual arriving in the post and wanted to see if there was anything I could check first without removing the sump again. I changed the oil and filter when the sump went back on. Before I changed the sump gasket it ran reasonably well - no knocking and clunking, it just leaked oil like a seive through the sump gasket, so I'm guessing I must have done something to the oil pump when refitting the sump. Sorry for all the questions am just a bit keen to get it fixed as I have 10 acres that need cutting.

super6
True Blue

Re: Low oil pressure

Post by super6 »

oil pressure gauge sender is bolted into block just under the dynamo, on a super it should be an electric sender to a light on the dash.
On my tractor i removed sender and took it to a hydraulic hose shop and they matched the thread of it to a gauge that will then screw direct into block, only cost about £5.
Brett

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi, it does sound like maybe something you did when replacing the sump gasket as it ran ok before. Did you check the oil pick up filter wasnt blocked up? You can do this by taking the ring of bolts around the sump plug off and dropping the tray down. Also have you fitted the correct oil filter?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Millwall Paul »

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to get a pressure guage to fit on the block to give me an idea of what oil pressure I'm running. Also it has the older style of sump where you have to remove it completely to get to the oil pump pick up filter. The oil filter looked the same as the one I removed so hopefully it should be the right one. Everything was cleaned before I reassembled it. I'm pretty sure I must have done something wrong when refitting the sump to cause the problem but am unsure what. One other thing that I did notice was that the water didn't seem to circulate very well, i.e. the bottom hoes of thew rad always remained cold but the top one very quickly got hot. How much oil should I expect to see at the top of the engine under the rocker cover, i.e. should it be swimming in oil or should it all just have a light coating? Once again sorry for all the questions this is a bit of a steep learning curve for me.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

you should see a film of oil on rockers, not gallons, i would remove rocker shaft and clean oilways in the shaft, mine where all blocked before i cleaned it.
answer to your other thread if you go to the home page of this website there is lots of manuals/parts list you can download for free.
have fun Brett

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

like brett says, there should be a steady oil flow to the rockers, but not too much. if there is none at all then you may have a problem, especially if the engine wasnt breathing before the gasket change.
other than an incorrect oil filter (although i cant imagine that would cause a problem) i cant imagine anything else than the oil pump.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Millwall Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Millwall Paul »

Oh well, I got out to work on the tractor today, I fitted a pressure guage to the oil pressure sensor spot to check the pressure and tried to start the engine. Absolutely nothing, the engine wouldn't even turn over. I've taken the water pump and rad off and the engine appeared to be locked solid. I removed the rocker cover and rockers and injectors incase it was stuck with the compresion not allowing me to turn the engine on the crank. Still no joy, it's siezed solid. Even with me jumping on the spanner it wouldn't budge - and I'm built for comfort and not speed. I've got the head off to look for obvious damage to the piston tops but nothing obvious apart from there's very little wear to the bores. I won't be able to get to it until monday now when I plan to pull the engine out and check the bottom end and get a better idea of the damage. It's looking more like I'll have to rebuild the engine. Just out of interest, is it possible to pull the engine out like you would in a car rather than split the tractor? I'm hoping I'll get away with a cheap rebuild - i.e. regrind the crank and replace the big end and crank shells as I'm doing it for family and they don't like parting with money.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

just a quick one,did you use any instant gasket when you did sump gasket if so could some have been dragged into oil pump and stopped it working?
yes the best way to rebuild engine is to split tractor it will be quicker and easier that way so will save time and money in the long run.
hope its not a big job :( :( brett