aegerter with majors

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
aegerter
Not Quite Blue Yet

aegerter with majors

Post by aegerter »

Hello all.I have just joined this sight and thought i had beter introduce myself.i live in Brittany ,France and wish to buy a fordson major.I am going to look at one this week ,a later model with diff lock,disk brakes,steel front rims and a siezed engine.I have to hand a ford 2712e and a ford cargo 6 pot .I want to use the tractor to transport trailers of wood on the road for distances up to 50 km so road speed important.I do have a ford 2000 which is used around the place but with the wood transport an excuse came to get a major.Is it ok for me to send some pics to help I.D this tractor.This is the first forum i have joined so be gentle with me.aegerter.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: aegerter with majors

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey. :D

Sounds like you will have a lot of road miles to travel. Hard surface roads will wear the tires quicker than running in the dirt. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

you need to check whether you have a fast or slow diff in the super major as the slow one is only good for 15mph maybe as much as 25mph with a good 6 pot instead of the 4.
good luck with the project i am sure you will learn alot and have fun doing it.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Also, others have said on here that you need to be careful as the 4 cylinder flywheel can Explode with the faster 6 cylinder RPM. You may want to post this in the "Ford and Fordson Conversion" section on this site. Others have done what you are talking about and have good advice on the subject. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

aegerter
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by aegerter »

Whent to look at tractor and found O8C9676O7 under injector nearest rad and EIA DDN5O1B under the seat.There were no dif ratios stamped on machined triangle by hydralic cover.Any help with info greaty appreciated.Simon

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

no way of telling what ratio you have without taking top cover off and counting teeth on diff, or taking for a test drive.
As for clutch and flywheel i have had no problems with mine with a 6 pot in it for last 3 years, that said a single clutch would be better for road work than a live drive clutch.
I would say that if the price is right you should take the plunge and buy it, even with the slower ratio it will pull better than alot of newer machines and keep up with most 40 kph tractors if you fit a lorry engine.