Frame Reinforcement?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
tommyo77
Not Quite Blue Yet

Frame Reinforcement?

Post by tommyo77 »

Hello, I'm a new member and this is second posting with another question. I have been browsing and found several people mentioned the oil pan on the major being important to the structural integrity. My Super Major has a 2711e Marine diesel with a aluminum pan. Should I reinforce the frame? I was thinking if I put some steel from the frame down the the cross member and back up to the frame on each side. (like a upside down king post truss) It should help a lot. Any one out there with any experience with this? Thanks. This forum is awesome! Tom

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Frame Reinforcement?

Post by Kiwi Kev »

depends if you have the front axle A frame connected to the sump, as in an original tractor.
Your tractor has a replacement engine fitted, so will probably have the A frame supported another way.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

tommyo77
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tommyo77 »

Hi, thanks for response. The frame was widened to fit the new engine and a saddle made across the frame under the engine. The front axle A frame is attached to this saddle there is two bolts on each side holding this saddle. Is the front axle a frame the stress point? If it is maybe I should weld a brace from the bottom of the saddle back to the bell housing bolts on each side? Have you heard of anyone using this engine in the major? Sorry but I can't seem to figure out how to post pics.Thanks, Tom

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn37 ... 2major.gif
this is what i have done with my ali sump, it has worked really well.
Brett

tommyo77
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tommyo77 »

Thanks Brett, that is very similar to what was done on mine except I only have two bolts on top where it attaches to the frame. What I was wondering about was placing a piece of steel from the bottom of that saddle diagnally back to bolt on where the bell housing attaches to the frame. From the looks of yours it is not necessary. Have you been running it a while? I plan on doing some heavy work with mine. Thanks again Tom

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

i would say it has done over 200 hours like that and there is no play at all, also none of the bolts on rails or engine to gearbox have ever vibrated loose/snapped.
Last week i was pulling a trailer that weighed about 9 tonnes so it does have to put up with some real work also.

tommyo77
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tommyo77 »

Sounds good to me. 9 tonnes!!! That is a load! I think I'll add two more bolts, make it 4 bolts like yours, and call it a day. the heavyist work I hope to do Is pull three bottoms, 12' disks, and a 3 yard dump wagon with it. Otherwise baling hay, brush hogging, and using my old combine.... Thank you much for the info. Tom :)