Valve Seats - FSM

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
brownsmule
True Blue

Valve Seats - FSM

Post by brownsmule »

I am looking to purchase valve seats, intake and exhaust for my Super Major. The cylinder head is the FL version. I tried the search function, a vendor and the New Holland site. I could not find a part number or listing for a replacement valve seat. The machine shop called yesterday and asked if I could source a couple "correct" ones and if not available he would cut and install something that would work. Your advice is appreciated. brownsmule in NC, USA

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Valve Seats - FSM

Post by JC »

You can get them here. http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/c ... d_Nut.html You have to scroll down the page almost to the bottom. I'm not sure if the FL head uses the same ones as the rest of the Majors, though.

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

I made a call to Walt's. They do not have valve seats in stock. They do not have a source for them. They are listed on-line in their parts however not available. Also, their minimum shipping charge in the US is $12.00 confirmed by phone. Any other suggestions as to a source for the correct valve seats" Thanks in advance. brownsmule in NC USA

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

HI
As far as I know there are no replacement seats for the fordson super major that you have. I think the ones you are talking about are for the later 1965 on 6x 5000 super major and y series ford 5000 . i think they had removable seats in. yours should just be seats cut in the head casting unless somebody messed with it before :) you will have to get something that will work from the machine shop guys. This is a standard practice in Canada when the seats are beyond help in heads with cast seats . they machine the old seat material out and put the inserts in to save the head. It works great if done properly. :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

The cylinder head for my FSM has seats installed. The ones on # 1 cylinder must be replaced. So, I guess that someone has "messed with it" before. My FSM is most likely a 1961 or 62 model and the engine has been replaced. I'll tell the fellow at the Automotive Machine Shop to do the best he can in order to save the head.
Thanks for the information so I know how to proceed and I learned that the E1A cylinder head did not come from the factory with hardened seats. I drive an Old Car and Truck (Studebaker) and the cylinder heads on their V8's came from the factory without hardened seats. brownsmule in NC USA

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

brownsmule,

I have the dimensions for the Inlet and Exhaust Valve Seats for the New Majors, and according to the Parts Book the same Seats were used from 1952-1964. There was also an oversized Seat available. As a matter of interest Fordson started using Valve Inserts in around 1943 or 1944. Let me know if you want the dimensions.
BarryM

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

Good Day to you (as I don't know what time it is at your home)

Yes, I certainly would like to have the dimensions for both the standard and oversize valve seats.
Sooo, Fordson did use valve seats in the Major series cylinder head. I'm looking forward to getting
mine running and back on the job. Once you have a Loader Tractor it is hard to do without.

I really appreciate the information
Thanks
pwbrown aka brownsmule in NC USA

perbro@windstream.net

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

brownsmule,

External Diameter of Valve Insert: Inlet 1.8900 inches to 1.8905 inches.
External Diameter of Valve Insert: Exhaust 1.702 inches to 1.7025 inches.

Internal Diameter of Valve Insert: Inlet 1.560 inches to 1.565 inches.
Internal Diameter of Valve Insert: Exhaust 1.372 inches to 1.377 inches.

Thickness of Valve Inserts: 0.2175 inches to 0.2195 inches.

Interference fit of Inserts to Head: 0.0045 inches to 0. 0060 inches.

Diesel, Petrol & Kerosene Heads are all the same measurements.
BarryM

brownsmule
True Blue

Post by brownsmule »

I'll be on my way to the Automotive Machine Shop in town in the morning with this information. As a plus I am going to print and save the information on paper as I also have a Dexta. There were not and are not very many Dexta's and Major's in my neck of the woods so they are not understood well by most folks. The people that I know that have and do own them swear by them and not at them as they really are great tractors. THANKS for the information. brownsmule NC USA

Kjetil
True Blue

Post by Kjetil »

BarryM

This is very interesting information.

Were is such detailed information about the engine available?

Regards Kjetil

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Kjetil,

The Ford Motor Company of Australia printed this information in Service Letter form all through the 1950's. It covered Model N, E27N, and New Major up to 1957-58.
BarryM

JC

Post by JC »

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
Please be careful about valve seat heights, make sure you use the workshop settings as the valves sit higher each time the heads are planed and may have clearance issues with the pistons if they get too high!

Mike