Major rear axle oil seal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Salvador
Not Quite Blue Yet

Major rear axle oil seal

Post by Salvador »

Hi all.
Could anyone tell me how difficult it is ffor an average mechanic like myself to change a fordson major 1956 the rear axle oil seals?. Thank you. I am located in Guadalajara,Mexico.
Salvador.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board. We discussed just this job a few days ago so here is my reply:

Have you got too much oil in the back end?

Have you over-greased the half-shaft bearing?

It may have just stripped the seal if it had rusted on the shaft due to standing.

Afraid the lift will have to come off again then the wheel and the big nuts on the bull gears, then you have to tap the locating "dints" out of the seal carrier at the end of the trumpet housing. These are just where the seal carrier has been tapped down into the groove to hold it in place.

You then draw the half-shaft out. So far its easy. (Unless you have parked the tractor too close to the wall)

Now we get to the hard bit. The bearing has to come off the shaft. In service, we used to destroy the seal housing to get a puller or press in behind the bearing. You may have to do the same thing.

Once the bearing is off the seal and housing come off easily. Check the surface where the seal runs on the half shaft for a groove. If there is a deep one there, it will have to be resurfaced. If it is not too bad a new seal will sort your problem. New seals and housings are available here from Agriline but I would also try your Case/New Holland dealer.

Whole job should take about 4 hours.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian