FMD INJECTION PUMP OIL

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
INDIANAMARK
Not Quite Blue Yet

FMD INJECTION PUMP OIL

Post by INDIANAMARK »

I picked up my injection pump for FMD, and shop tag said to top off the oil in the pump before running. I don't see where to put the oil into the pump and how to tell if it is filled to the correct level. Any ideas?
INDIANA MARK

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mark,
Have you a Minimec pump or a vacuum governed pump? Only the Super with a Minimec needs oil in the governor housing. Filler at the top, level is a 1/2" spanner size plug on the side of the governor housing and the drain is a 1/2" spanner size plug on the bottom.

Oil should be engine oil and changed every 300 hours.

The vacuum governed pump does not need oil as, like the Minimec, all the pumping elements are lubricated by diesel and it does not have a mechanical governor, but if the pump has been drained of this, then the side plate should be reomoved and about 1/2 pint of oil put inside here for the initial lubrication of the elements until diesel builds up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

INDIANAMARK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by INDIANAMARK »

Thanks Brian.

The shop here in Indianapolis didn't do the work. The had to send it to Louisville for testing. When I looked at the tag about adding the oil, and asked them about this, they weren't sure....but I thought you might know.

The pump is a Simms pump, and taking the side plate off seems to be the only way to add any oil.

Mark
INDIANA MARK

INDIANAMARK
Not Quite Blue Yet

It runs! It runs!

Post by INDIANAMARK »

I put the pump back on the FMD. I notices 1 of the bolts had lost out of the injection pump timing adjustment. I found a bolt to replace the 1 lost and returned the timing to where it should have been. Tractor starts and runs now. I put the cycle bar mower on it and mowed the ditch banks.

The valves train rattles more than I like. I did adjust the valve tappet clearance to specs. I'm concerned there isn't enough oil getting to them. The oil pressure guage may not be working. The coolant guage is definitely not working, and the tachometer cable is broken. Looks like I have a little more work to do, but now it runs!
INDIANA MARK