Super MAjor Brake/Gearbox Problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
icom102
True Blue

Super MAjor Brake/Gearbox Problem

Post by icom102 »

I have been getting a guy to fix the brakes on my super major when i brake the right hand wheel wont release i have to hit the brake housing with a hammer or put the tractor in reverse and move it back a bit so last night i called over to see how he was getting on and he said it was not the brakes but the gearbox that was causing the problem he said it was something to do with the handbrake now the only time the wheel stuck was when i was braking so now he tells me i need a new gearbox and to be honest i don’t have a clue if what he’s telling me is correct or not has anyone any ideas?

Regards

Paul

roadless J17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Super MAjor Brake/Gearbox Problem

Post by roadless J17 »

hi we think that the brake actuctors between the discs need the balls and the springs replacing unless the wearing faces are worn out then the whole actuators will need replacing.

the balls wear and deform and the springs stretch or break

if it is the same problem this should help you out
good luck

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi paul, the handbrake on majors are as far as i know inside the gearbox on the main shaft. Im not sure the gearbox is at fault here, does it make any noises or clunks when the brakes stick on? I know that brian said that even from new, super major brakes were a pain in the arse! Does it happen particularly when you press on sides brakes?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Hi thanks for the reply i thought it was the actuator my self but this guy says its the handbrake thats causeing the problem my major needs the gearbox replaced or done up has the handbrake anything to do or connected to the foot brake?

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Hi Nick no theres no noises or anything its just one side is sticking on

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

I thought the handbrake stopped the gear box turning therefore locking the back wheels. assuming that is true, there would be no bias to one side because of the diff. I have heard that disc brakes are a pain to get right aswell.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

well i thought that too, which if we are right means that it is not the gearbox, but something within the brake on the side that locks up.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

So if its the handbrake both wheels would lock up not just the same side all the time?

Dave Matt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dave Matt »

Hi - I've had the same problem with the brakes locking up on my Super Major. On this forum some time back I was told that it was caused by the linings being glazed over. So I took the brakes all apart, cleaned up the actuators, and sanded down the brake discs, reassembled and readjusted, and the problem went away. That was maybe two years ago and the brakes are just starting to lock up again, so I expect that I'll be taking them apart for a good cleaning sometime soon.

From what I've read here, running with the handbrake on can cause serious damage to the gearbox in the earlier Majors but I thought that problem didn't apply to the Super Majors. Mine doesn't have a hand brake, it just has a foot pedal lock.

Hope this helps.

Dave