New price of 1952 E1A diesel major?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
neilarmo
True Blue

New price of 1952 E1A diesel major?

Post by neilarmo »

Hi, my grandfather bought a diesel major in 1952 and I think I may have a the original cheque he paid for it with. He also bought a Land Rover off the same dealer that spring. The cheque is for £645 - 13 - 0, would this have been right for a major or a landy?
Allan Condie pamphlet says 1955 diesel rowcrop £496 -5-0, plus belt pulley, pro and hydraulics, another £80. Don't know if MIL loader was fitted from new?

I haven't the internet speed to download all the sales brochures, so thought I'd be cheeky and ask,
cheers, Neil

picture of ploughing approx 1955, 3 years after buying tractor and still using horse plough! Picture shows no exhaust, but is ram visible for MIL loader or is it just my imagination?

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: New price of 1952 E1A diesel major?

Post by henk »

Niel,

Could be a horizontal exhaust. The headlights are set up for a front loader. The tree in the background could be a very long exhaust or a very long ram for the loader.
Don't know about the price.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

neilarmo
True Blue

Re: New price of 1952 E1A diesel major?

Post by neilarmo »

I'd noticed the lack of upright exhaust, having blown up the tractor section of photo I can see there's no bracket for the mil loader, so is probably an underswept exhaust showing through from the far side.

cheers, N