wheel wobble

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
super6
True Blue

wheel wobble

Post by super6 »

hi i have a bad case of wheel wobble, steering rod ball joints are tight and steering box is tight, where and how can i tighten axle to prevent it happening. thanks Brett

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board.

Try the drag link pins, king pins and splines at the top. Drive down the road and see which part is moving. Other places to look is wear in the front axle support and radius rod.

You don't say what wheels you have fitted but if the pressed steel ones, bent rimsand dish could also be a problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
Try jacking up the front end to take some of the weight off the steering, axles etc and then try rocking each tyre forward and back and also through the steering wheel. It's how the weight holds things tight so you can't move things by handbut you go down the road and it all starts to wobble. Did it on my Dexta and E27N and in both cases it was worn bolts on the axle. I had to ream out the E27N axle holes until a metric bolt was a tight fit.

Regards

Jerry Coles
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

i have had a good look and 1 king pin is slack and so is center pin on axle, hopefully i can re bush them and solve the problem

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

No expert on the Major (or any thing else) but would tyre type and toe in make any difference?