Gearbox Problems 1964 Super Major - Tech Manual Needed

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bobmac20
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gearbox Problems 1964 Super Major - Tech Manual Needed

Post by bobmac20 »

Hi! I bought a farm here in NSW Australia several months ago, thrown in with the farm was a Super Major! It was running well till last week when any attempt to use a gear resulted in a loud grating noise from the gearbox, and several gears could not be selected at all. On removing the side inspection cover, it appears that a bearing at the front of the gearbox has disintegrated totally and the drive shaft is sagging towards the front. I will take some pictures if possible next week, but in the meantime does anyone know where I can get hold of a technical manual so I can properly identify the part in order to get a replacement? I am a total novice at tractors so would appreciate any help and assistance at all in this matter!
Bob McGilvray

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Bob,
Is it a live drive? Hi will be up on the Hi/Lo lever.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

G'day Bob and welcome to the board.

What part of NSW are you at? Big state. We could be neighbours or as far apart as London and Berlin! I have 64 Super, Workshop Manual and Parts Books.

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

bobmac20
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major Gearbox Problems

Post by bobmac20 »

Thanks Brian and Rick for replying so fast! I am in Tumblong, NSW (just south of Gundagai);
Rick: if you are close-ish could I perhaps come and have a look at your manual if it turns out to be necessary? I am not at the farm at the moment but will be next week when I will try and take some decent pics to illustrate the problem.
Brian: I am not sure if it is a "live" drive, please forgive my ignorance. It is the shaft which appears to come into the gearbox from the clutch. The Hi/li handle appears to be jammed in that it can only be moved probably a few centimetres in any direction. When I get some pics done I will post them for you to look at.
Thanks again to both of you for your help so far.
Bob
Bob McGilvray

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sounds like the bearing on the main input shaft. If it is then you may be able to split the tractor and just take out the input shaft and bearing from the front.

Gearbox removal is also done through the front but will mean you have to drain gearbox and rear axle, remove the PTO shaft and the lower PTO gearing before drawing the complete inner box out of the front.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

Hello Bob

The manuals can be downloaded at the following link. The supplements cover through the Super Major. Starting in July '63, the New Performance Super had some transmission changes.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 01080.html

Regards, Julian H

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Sorry Bob, but I'm located 210 km from Tumblong. A bit too far to pop in eh. You can buy manuals via the internet or seeing you're about 70 kms from Wagga Wagga, you could phone Wagga Tractor Parts who sell Fordson Parts and various manuals via eBay and of course direct.
BareCo also sell them through distributors all over NSW ( http://www.bareco.com.au/files/dealers/ ... rIndex.htm ). Most would have to order in. Mind you, the manuals are produced by INTERTEC (IT for short and American) and the one you need is FO-201. Their manuals aren't too bad but they do contain a few inaccuracies. :evil:
Should cost around $55 or there abouts.

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick