Howdy from Wyomiles with Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Howdy from Wyomiles with Super Major

Post by Wyomiles »

Dandy Dave, Thanks, sounds like I better get at least the left hand gauge. Hopefully I can find one somewhere.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

You can get the gages from, Agriline products. Plus other stuff. They ship world wide. There are other suppliers as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on the other suppliers. Dandy Dave!

http://www.agrilineproducts.com/
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

So the steering is a little loose. It looks like some modifications have been done over the years and I hope that this is why it is loose and not something in the gears under the steering wheel. The power steering pump has been removed but the cylinder is still being used. The long "tie rod" has been beefed up with agle iron. Should I remove the cylinder and just connect the tie rod to the connector near the tire? ( not sure if it is long enough? ) I know that I can order a whole new power steering system, would that be the way to go?

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

It looks like I have a seal leak. It will cost me about $1200.00 to fix it at the shop ! This is because he says he has to tear the whole axle out to get the seal replaced. Is that right?
Any idea how long I can run before this goes out completely? Is this something I should get fixed? The mechanic suggested using gear lube in the transmission as it is thicker and may leak slower. Is that a good idea? Any other ideas? There is no pressure behind the seal right ? Should I run it to failure ?
Last edited by Wyomiles on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

Here are the gauges I was talking about earlier.
I also found another one that runs from the top of the radiator back to below these. It is just hanging loose. Not sure where it is suppose to be attached? It looks like a coolant temp gauge . Not sure if it works. :roll:

Last edited by Wyomiles on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

The control and command center.

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

The fuel system. How does it look to you all?

I just noticed that a couple of numbers of some sort can be seen in this picture. Do they tell any of you anything?

River
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by River »

Brian wrote:Same tractor, different name, New Performance Super Major here, Ford 5000 there.

When the "X" Series 5000 came out in 1964 it was badged "Ford Super Major 5000" here.
Nice tractor, although, I have the US Ford 5000 sales brochure, printed pre 64, all but one tractor in the brochure is a NPSM,one is pre NP & is grey blue 5000, this has puzzled me for years as I've seen many of these grey blue SM badged Ford 5000 that are not New Performance.

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

Finally got her on the land and working ! Really need to get a power steering kit though, man that manual steering is tough !

Also noticed something. It looks like there are two filters in this picture.

The one on the left doesn't seem to be hook up to anything. What does it do?

Also got a better shot of the serial number, 08D956960 can you tell me what this stand for?

I ordered a couple of gauges from Agriline so that I can keep an eye on the performance of the engine. I was afraid to run it for to long without gauges. There are also four light bulbs that I hope I can find at a parts store in town.

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Looks to me that tere was a power steering on it once the rod is there and the bracket above the altenator, iff you can get some parts it must be easy to fit
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

In very cold weather, the Fordson Owners Manual recommends that the engine be turned by hand to help loosen it up as an aid in starting. You do this with a hand crank if you are lucky enough to have one as they are rather rare. Also, you may want to turn the engine slowly to check things like valve timing, or injection pump timing. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

Frans, yes I hope to save up enough money this winter to buy and install a power steering kit next spring.

Thanks Dandy Dave. I still have a lot to learn.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

If you install a complete new PS Kit, I could use a few parts off of you old PS cylinder. Mainly the shields that cover the ball joints as they are missing on my Power Major. I would gladly pay you something for the old cylinder, plus shipping, just to have it for parts if you are not going to use it. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

If you install a complete new PS Kit, I could use a few parts off of you old PS cylinder. Mainly the shields that cover the ball joints as they are missing on my Power Major. I would gladly pay you something for the old cylinder, plus shipping, just to have it for parts if you are not going to use it. Dandy Dave!
well in that case I can use the bracket above the alternator, Frans
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

OK I will keep you guys in mind. first I have to make some money :) .

I received two gauges from agriline but they do not look the same as the old ones. I hope I can make them work. Has anyone else ever replaced the gauges on their super major? Which part numbered gauge did you use? Are they relitively easy to replace?

I bought number 5125 oil gauge but it has it's own cable and the old one detached from the cable. It looks like there are two holes for the lights to fit into though. Where does the end of the cable attach?

I bought the tachometer number 2225 and it looks like it is an electrical hookup and the old tack had a cable attached. Also I didn't know if I needed a clockwise or anti clockwise . So I got this one because it said 'As original" in the catalog.
As you can tell I really don't know what I am doing! I guess learning will be expensive for me. :oops:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi I just checked your part numbers on agriline site. if the parts you have look like there pictures they are correct. the temp gauge has a wire cable that runs up the starter side of the block to the left hand side of the top radiator hose and screws in the cylinder head there. there are 3 sets of wire terminals on it 1 is the charge light bulb 1 is the oil light and the other is the light so you can see the temp gauge in the dark. the supers and power major didn't have an oil pressure gauge as standard only an idiot light.
The tach has the screw thread on in the center for the cable and a wire terminal for the light so ya can see it in the dark . I have never fitted the agriline gauges but the ones i had you have to watch that the mounting studs don't catch the top of the fuel tank and stop the gauge housing fitting and I think i had to unscrew the case mount screws and turn the outer housing on the tach gauge to get that to fit. Make sure that all the wire connections are good as bare wires or connections under that panel are a fire risk there is not a lot of clearance under there when the cluster is screwed on. to be honest i would disconnect the battery while i was doing it to avoid shorts .
If ya stuck get back with some pictures and someone will try help ya a bit more.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

Thanks Robert ! It will be a couple of weeks before I have days off to go up to our Shark, where the tractor is. I will let you know how it goes. My worry was that I won't be able to return the gauges to Agriline after the two or three weeks.
There is an old temp gauge that comes out of the top of the radiator that has been run up beside the engine and is just hanging up by the break pedals.( as shown above in one of the photos) Must have been installed by last owner.
So do I need a new cable for the tach or can I use the old one? ( part number?) And where/how does it attach?

Just noticed all my pictures are not showing up today, weird.Also I typed to our (land) Shark and it is saying to our shark. :?:

Whenever I type p r o p e r t y it says Shark ???

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I did fit Agriline gages to my Power Major. It was slightly different from the originals, But I was able to hook it up by splicing some of the new wiring harness wires to the bulb sockets in the gage. Also, if someone replaced the oil pressure sending unit with a line and gage, you may need to get a new sending unit to hook it up correctly. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

Hello all, hope it is OK to keep posting under my thread as it helps me keep things all in one place.

I installed the two new dash gauges. They look spiffy! The temp gauge works fine and the oil and generator lights seem to work. After instalation they lit up upon start up and then went out when the tractor was running. The tach/hour gauge has long bolts so I will have to cut them off or they hold the dash off of the gas tank. I have to order a new cable for it so it is not working right now and there is not a place for the light.
Anyway I also replaced the battery cables. This is when I noticed that the battery is connected differently than I am used to. The positive lead was going to the frame. Is that normal? I was told that it might be because in the 60's they sometimes reversed polarity to give the tractor more starting amps.

I also have a problem.
It has always started right up, cranked strong, no problem. Well the evening after I put on the new cables,( I left the battery hooked up the way it was.) I noticed that the gen and oil lamps stayed on. I disconnected the battery to keep the lights from draining it overnight. The next morning I hooked the battery back up and the engine would not crank. I could hear a clicking sound like it was making the connection but it wouldn't crank. I looked a little closer and it looks like the battery cable on the starter solinoid (?) had moved a little and was making contact with the small post next to it. I repositioned it but still no crank. I kept trying and after about 10 to 15 tries it finally fired. It happens now each time I try to start the engine. So did I fry something when the cable moved? Why wont it crank like before? Help!!

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

There is also a handle down next to the clutch peddle that I believe is the PTO control? The PTO is covered ,as I am not using it . I am wondering which position the handle for the PTO should be in when I am not using the PTO. Or should the PTO be running all of the time?

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

As far as I am aware from reading other posts on the site, the major was originally a positive earth design, but when or if the dynamo gets changed for an alternator then the earthing must be changed to negative. Does your old girl still have a dynamo as opposed to an alternator?
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Hi Wyomiles
Here in Oz all Supers and 5000s had negative [-] earth. Whilst I have never fitted Agriline products, I suspect that they would be made to conform with modern polarity practices which would have battery positive feeds for dash and warning lights. This would mean that your oil warning light sender unit [in the block] would be negative [earth]. It appears possible, then, that you may have your main electrical system set up for + earth, but your oil unit as - earth.
May I suggest that use of even a cheap digital multimeter applied to various wires, with ignition on, will tell you the existing polarity.
I have always believed that finding an electrical problem takes 90% of ones time -- fixing it only 10%. Take your time and take notes.

Incidently, since electrons flow from negative to positive, early systems had positive earth. However, when the US army wished to measure the current usage of their vehicles and fitted an ammeter it wouldn't work. But by reversing the battery polarity it did -- which is why the negative terminal of a battery is now the frame or earth connection.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

On a very cold morning to break any oil lock from cold oil. Any other time when you may need to turn the engine without starting.

Rule of thumb: All the main controls are reached from the seat. If Fordson had wanted the decompresser used to start the engine, they would have put it there not at the front where it is impossible to reach. It is quite near the starting handle though. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Wyomiles wrote:There is also a handle down next to the clutch peddle that I believe is the PTO control? The PTO is covered ,as I am not using it . I am wondering which position the handle for the PTO should be in when I am not using the PTO. Or should the PTO be running all of the time?
On my power major, its Pushed forward for PTO & Hydraulics off, pulled back for PTO & Hydraulics on
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Wyomiles
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Wyomiles »

Thanks everyone!
Halloween, I think it still has the dynamo. Again, I really am not very good at all of this stuff, sorry for all of the dumb questions and answers . The first picture on this thread shows it, not a close up though. It is a long cylinder shape ,rather than a shorter one like my truck alternator. How do I tell the difference? :oops:
So it sounds like positive to ground is normal.
Thanks for the PTO info also.

Thanks Brian, I will only use it when it gets really cold.

Pavel, What is really weird is that the gauges and lights and starter worked when I first changed out the cable. Then the cable touched the other post and the lights now stay on and the tractor will not crank every time I try it. So I am wondering if I shorted something out.
I will have to get a multimeter as you sugested.
By the way I do not have a key and my key switch seems to be on all of the time, no matter what position it is in.( or maybe it is bypassed? I will have to look a little closer.) I Just use the mechanical starter lever to crank the engine. (Also no head lights etc.)

Thanks again everyone, the tractor is about 300 miles away from home so I wont be able to check everything out until the end of October when I will be going to the land again.